What happened to ųTorrent?!!

cadinfo

Hi.

I used to have a (presumably rather old) version of ųTorrent on my PC, but the C drive lunched itself recently and I don't seem to have kept the old install file. No biggie: I'll download the latest version (probably a good idea, I thought).

I was a tad surprised to find there is now a free and a paid-for version, but I downloaded the Free version 3.3 from www.utorrent.com and proceeded to install it.

Wow! Comodo Firewall immediately flagged some malware named Application.Win32.Agent.~AGT@1 in a file named BunndleOfferManager.dll. Naturally, I told Comodo to Quarantine the file.

Thereafter, the install continued normally (slightly to my surprise), and I then dutifully declined the six or so other pieces of software which I was kindly offered, before any actual ųTorrent installing occurred. Well, that's the world we live in, I guess.

OK, all installed: let's open it up and give it a whirl. Slightly annoyed about being offered another random piece of software in the banner at the top, but that's the world… etc., etc. Everything working OK, so I went to click on the Pieces tab since that invariably gives the fastest download speed (at least, it did in the version I used previously).

Waitammint.

Where's the Pieces tab? Am I seeing things? It's just — not there. Now, why on earth would you want to get rid of that tab, when it was arguably the single most useful tab in the bottom pane? Maybe I'm missing something here, but there isn't a Pieces tab: is that normal?

I'm pretty close to checking the backup of my (previous) C drive, finding out which version I had, and seeking out the installer for that online. But before I do that, I'd really appreciate a response from the developers about:

a) the apparent bundled malware which Comodo spotted and binned; and

B) the lack of a Pieces tab

…in v3.3.

I can accept all the other stuff, like the sponsored software offers, ads., etc., now that there is a paid-for version. But I really need answers about those two points above, or I will definitely revert to the nice version 1.whatever or 2.whatever I was perfectly contentedly used up to now.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your response.

--

BFN

Cad

Where's the Pieces tab? Am I seeing things? It's just — not there. Now, why on earth would you want to get rid of that tab, when it was arguably the single most useful tab in the bottom pane? Maybe I'm missing something here, but there isn't a Pieces tab: is that normal?

Only if the tab is turned off. Right-click a tab you have to turn on one you don't. Just like columns.

It's also not as useful as you make it out to be.

a) the apparent bundled malware which Comodo spotted and binned; and

There's a level of paranoia in internet security software that is unhealthy. Comodo just crossed the threshold to the wrong side.

Thanks for the replies, folks. Much appreciated!

We can agree to disagree about whether or not you consider what is obviously an enabling DLL to allow unsolicited software offers to be punted at me should be flagged by my security software as "bad," or whether doing that counts as "… a level of paranoia in internet security software that is unhealthy."

I do appreciate the tip about the Pieces tab, though! Thanks, and D'OH! I guess if I hadn't been so rattled about the security alert, I'd have been thinking more rationally and would have worked it out for myself. That's my story; and I'm sticking to it. >ahem<

Still not sure that my previous version of ųTorrent wasn't faster at downloading torrents: I'll need to use v3.3 a little more first before I decide whether or not to bother with comparing the current and my previous versions for speed on the same torrents.

--

BFN

Cad

Archived