Change torrent path, to different path leading to same place.

NLS

I need to change the destination directory of a set of large torrents (so moving to temporary place is out of the question).

The thing is that the original path (H:\P2P) and the new path (Q:\P2P) lead to the same destination.

(this could be because I want to make a drive letter change on same physical disk, or -in my case- I want to see a disk from inside a pool instead of from an individual disk)

I know how to do that of course the actual change (from the menu item), but the problem is that since my old path and my new path actually lead to the same place, produces pop-ups that "file is already there, want me to overwrite?". Of course I don't want to overwrite a file with source being... itself! I will destroy all my torrents.

Strangely enough both "no" and "cancel" actually cancel. I would expect clicking "no" to actually ignore files and just set the new path.

So, is there a way to manually do the change maybe editing a file? (I tried to find where uTorrent stores these things, but failed)

The other option I have is to remove the torrents and re-add them using the new path (and force re-check), but is rather too much for the number of torrents I want to change and the fact that I only want to change a drive letter.

Thanks.

I think you didn't understand my request and my issue.

I don't care about the re-check, I'll do a re-check, not a problem.

Problem is that it is asking me to replace existing file.

I cannot answer yes!

Yes means that it will try to copy the file with ITSELF (I mean itself, not a copy).

H:\P2P\<my torrent> is THE SAME as Q:\P2P\<my torrent> (same disk, how can I explain better).

I don't care about the re-check, I'll do a re-check, not a problem.

Which bit of

choosing "yes" does a re-check now.
did you not understand?

Selecting [Yes] WILL CHECK to see if any pieces are missing or corrupt BEFORE the job starts. If the check is 100%, the job WILL start seeding.

uTorrent has no way of knowing that the two locations are identical.

I'll just add "Until the recheck is complete"

I don't care about the re-check' date=' I'll do a re-check, not a problem.[/quote']

Which bit of

choosing "yes" does a re-check now.
did you not understand?

Selecting [Yes] WILL CHECK to see if any pieces are missing or corrupt BEFORE the job starts. If the check is 100%, the job WILL start seeding.

uTorrent has no way of knowing that the two locations are identical.

I'll just add "Until the recheck is complete"

It is not asking for a recheck. It is asking to REPLACE a file (and all files in turn - thousands).

Which in my case cannot happen, it will destroy the torrent.

- So "yes" is not the correct choice.

- "No" does not do what it was supposed to do (it should proceed to path change WITHOUT moving files).

- "Cancel" obviously not what I need (as... it cancels).

Is my English that bad?

Okay, time to get patronising.

BitTorrent clients do NOT understand 'files', they understand a chunk of binary data that is 'X' number of bytes in length and can be segmented in 'Y' pieces with each piece being 'Z' bytes in length. So just because YOU see files doesn't mean that the chunk of data that already exists at the drive sectors you are telling it to use does actually contain EXACTLY the same chunk of binary data that the meta info says it does. THEREFORE it has to inspect EVERY piece of that data to verify that it IS the same, and answering [Yes] means;

"Yes I would like you to use that space, BUT before you do, please check all pieces of the data against the meta data in the .torrent file. Re-use those that do match and overwrite ANY PIECES THAT DO NOT MATCH"

So although it asks me if I want to replace files (because that is what it asks), it in fact asks me to check the file against the source.

Still not good, because on a torrent that contains 2000 files, I cannot just press 2000 times "yes".

Anyway seems I cannot really communicate what I need, so thank you for your replies, but I didn't get a proper one.

Request was if I could manually (editing some configuration file maybe) change the torrent path for torrents already in my list OR using the GUI, make it ignore destination files, change the path, then make me do a re-check (this would be fine).

because on a torrent that contains 2000 files, I cannot just press 2000 times "yes".

Read the bit that says >>>>>> It doesn't understand FILES!

There could be 20,000 individual files in the torrent and you will only basked the question [h]ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/h]

Request was if I could manually (editing some configuration file maybe) change the torrent path for torrents already in my list OR using the GUI, make it ignore destination files, change the path, then make me do a re-check (this would be fine).

READ the migration guide. It is in the user manual.

OK thanks.

I know how torrent protocols work.

What puzzles me is that it SAYS about file replace (it even asks me about a specific file not ANY file in general).

If it said "I want to check the binary data of your destination" I would know what to reply.

But as I said it says if I want to replace a file.

So, if it means something else, I guess I should file a bug report, to correct the phrasing of this requester.

It's like saying "you want to jump off the cliff?" and actually means "erm... I meant do you want to FLY off the cliff?"...

That said, I will not risk pressing "yes". I will take the task to delete torrents (not contents) and re-add them and show the correct path.

Again (simple question, forget anything else): Is there a way to manually edit a setting file (or registry or whatever) to edit the torrent path for my existing torrents? Or only done through the GUI?

Archived