Allowed upgrade to 3.3, got "Error: Files missing.."

aliceb

I am downloading the ~650MB torrent of Geocities, and am about 40% of the way through. UTorrent kept nagging me to download the latest "stable" version, and in a sleep-deprived state I foolishly gave in. Now, after upgrading, the torrent stopped with "Error: Files missing...". I tried "force recheck", then tried to start it, but got the same error. Is there any hope for this torrent or do I have to start all over? I have been downloading this one for several weeks already! :(

And, to add insult to injury there are now ads.

Actually, I am not 100% sure. We had a power outage not too long ago, and my system got powered down. So, it is most likely that I have restarted. Also, at one point the USB cable to the external drive got pulled out, and after I reconnected, uTorrent recovered and continued downloading.

If there is something damaged in the files, I wonder how I could fix it. I looked in the torrent folder and don't see anything odd.

The error message is kind of cryptic. Of course there are files missing, because the torrent is not completed. Would be nice to know what files are missing! The only thing I can think of is, either the data file(s) used by uTorrent got corrupted when it upgraded, or it changed the data format for something. If there was a way to know which files are corrupted, possibly I could remove them and re-download them.

It is NOT a file that is missing or invalid, bittorrent clients do NOT understand "files" it understands blocks of data called pieces, and they have to match EXACTLY to the checksum in the meta data.

If ONE bit (binary digit) in ONE byte (eight bits) is DIFFERENT the piece is incomplete.

possibly I could remove them and re-download them.
That is what a Force Recheck does.

I tried force recheck, and left it on overnight, as it was taking hours to complete. It appeared to be done, the message was "stopped at 43%". I tried to start it, but then got the "Error: Files missing" message again.

I started another force recheck, and after about 7 hours it is at 26%.

EDIT: It finished the recheck and again says "stopped at 43%". This time it actually started when I selected "Start" and is now downloading.

Archived