Moving torrent files to another folder after they have completed

boffies

Hi,

I have used the uTorrent client using default settings for a number of months and now I have realised that all the .torrent files are in the root uTorrent installation directory. I would like to clean this up and have tried the setting "Location of .torrents - Move .torrents for finished jobs to:". However this setting only moves torrents after I changed this setting. How can I move all my completed .torrent files into a separate directory?

Thank you for your assistance.

Option 1:

Right click -> Advanced -> Set download Location.

Option 2:

Stop and remove all jobs. keeping the .torrent and the data.

Move them in Windows explorer

Read the migration guide for the rest.

Option 3:

Stop all jobs.

Move them in Windows explorer

Edit resume.dat with Bencode and change the path to the data and .torrent file if you are moving them as well.

Force a recheck before starting the jobs.

AND if option 3: make a backup of resume.dat BEFORE editing.

Thank you ciaobaby,

Option 1 just moves the data file but not the .torrent file right?

Option 3: i have downloaded the BEncode Editor, and I can only seem to find the "path" variable which points to the data file but not the .torrent file. Am I missing something?

Option 2: Where can I find the Migration guide... is this the guide in the help files explaining how to move to a different computer? If so, I have looked at this and this also does not explain how to move my .torrent files into a different directory.

So I am still unable to move the .torrent files for the torrents that have already completed to another folder.

Option 1 just moves the data file but not the .torrent file right?
Yep

Option 3: i have downloaded the BEncode Editor, and I can only seem to find the "path" variable which points to the data file but not the .torrent file. Am I missing something?

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=725758#p725758

Option 2: Where can I find the Migration guide... is this the guide in the help files explaining how to move to a different computer? If so, I have looked at this and this also does not explain how to move my .torrent files into a different directory.

So I am still unable to move the .torrent files for the torrents that have already completed to another folder.

As you are reloading ALL the jobs, the loaded .torrent files WILL be put into the specified location in preferences.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Ciaobaby,

One more followup on this question.

Since I have renamed and moved all my completed torrents, I have no data files for the completed jobs anymmore. Therefore the only option left to me is option 3. However, you also say that for option 3 I need to force a recheck.... here you mean only on the jobs that have not completed. Is this correct?

Thanks again

But if I don't have the data files anymore, the force recheck will mean they go back into the Downloading/Active category. I want them to stay in the completed category, because I have downloaded them already. There are over a 1000 torrents I have completed.

So I am concluding that it will be impossible for me to move the completed torrent files to a new folder without doing a force recheck, which I cannot do because I don't have the data files anymore. Am I correct?

Without the original .torrent you can't even start a "force recheck" because the meta data in the .torrent is what it checks the hashsums against.

And you can move them anywhere you want to, you simply will NOT be able to reseed them.

AND with a thousand jobs WHY in [deity's] name are you running uTorrent????

Hi Ciaobaby,

I don't understand your comment. I have a thousand completed jobs... not running at the same time. Why are you suggesting I shouldn't use uTorrent?

I do still have the .torrent files, but do not the data (content) files. If I simply move the .torrent files to a new directory, uTorrent is not aware of the completed job anymore... this is why I wanted to know if I could move the .torrent file into a new location, but still keep it in my "Completed" jobs in uTorrent, and without doing a force recheck.

Thanks

Why are you suggesting I shouldn't use uTorrent?
Because uTorrent (these days) gets increasing flakey as the job count goes up.
but do not the data (content) files.
So what's the point of keeping them then? Unless you intend to download them all again of course.

If one bit (binary digit) has changed in the content data, it is different to the hashsums in the meta data and will fail to recheck.

The nice thing about having the .torrent file in the completed jobs list (even without having the data/content file, which I actually do have - just renamed) is that uTorrent will remind me that I have already downloaded it and then I can choose not to download it again.

So, am right in saying that I cannot achieve what I want to do?

If you want to have the lobs in the list and stopped, you can do whatever you want with the data, BUT if you inadvertantly start any of them you WILL have problems.

And to be honest there are FAR easier ways of managing records for what you already have downloaded, than using a BitTorrent client as a "librarian" and wasting huge amounts of resources for no good reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to move a torrent from the machine to an external hard drive, using the right click advanced routine as outlined above, but utorrent just keeps showing "moving" - instead of "seeding" (normally it only takes less than a minute to move a 1.5Gb torrent to the E: drive..

Tried moving it back, but that doesn't work either!

Any suggestions? Should I just delete it and forget about it, or what?

Right click -> Advanced -> Set download Location.

Say I need to do this for about 100 torrents. Once I select the 100 items and choose to set the download location, I am prompted 100 times for the destination folder. I would expect to be only prompted once because I selected all the 100 items and I wanted all the 100 items to get moved to the same destination.

If I did want move them to 100 different locations, then I would not have selected all the 100 items. I would have clicked one item at a time and do Set Download Location.

I am at a loss as to why uTorrent has not asked for the Set Download Prompt once and move it for all the selected items.

Anybody have an explanation on this? I have searched the forums and found out that there are lots of threads regarding this without any resolution.

Archived