Low Low Speeds in v3.3

BxDee

Hello.

Here is my problem, ever since I ugraded to v3.3 my DL and UL speeds have gone down to about 3-5 kB/s...

Now i used to have 2500/850 kB/s before v3.3 so im wondering whats the problem. I have a inkling to what it may be but not the cause or how to fix it. On the bottom statusline to the left of "DHT" i have Disk Load / Disk Overload (prob called one of those, my version isnt English). Now this tells me the load on the disk(s) im DL/UL from, and i know if i start to extract lets say 20x files at a time from one of the drives to another drive (or same drive) this goes to 100% disk load and my torrent speeds go down to like 3-5kB/s, this i understand and i have no problems with... problem now is that after i updated to v3.3 this is at 100% all the time... now i know there is no other activity on the disks, ive done a speedtest of my connection so it is torrent client related. ive tried stopping all torrents and its still at 100% load, ive used other applications to test current disk load and i know its not the disks...

Now i know i have waay more torrents running then i should (seeding etc.), and i know its effecting my speeds (should be 3200/1100 and not 2500/850, but due to extra traffic of the torrents i get the lower speed. but thats something i know and have accepted as a cost of seeding as mutch)

Now can anyone tell me if this is a bug in the client or a setup issue (maybe some settings got reset or changed in the upgrade)?

my stats on the computer in question are : Windows XP pro SP3, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz LGA775 4MB, 4GB (3.25GB) ram.

I have global max connections at 550, max peers per torrent at 40 and upload slots per torrent at 4.

will try to reset my client settings, but dont realy see why i should need to, unless there are some changes in v3.3 that require me to.

to me it looks like v3.3 has some limitations to number of torrents it can handle or something.... when i restart the client it gives me ok speeds as it starts to load the torrents in my list, but soon after all torrents are loaded i get "disk overloaded 100%" and speeds drop to 3-5 kB/s... this didnt happen in the version i had before i upgraded. ive even removed about 20% of the torrents and ive still got 100% overload....

as to Win XP, i (luckly skipped the hole Vista thing) and so i didnt realy drop XP as a OS until win 7 had been out for long enough for the "kinks" to be fixed...

the computer im running torrents etc isnt being used for anything that i _need_ win 7 for, ive had this same XP install running since 2006 with no major issues so i dont see a point using the time needed to install win7 and reinstalling all the programs etc. (and getting new win 7 versions for some).

it works fine realy. would like to have had some more ram tho, but if i remember correctly the MB only supports 4BG, so only realy losing 0.75GB due to OS limitations...

worth saying im a nostalgic when it comes to my OSs, think Vista was out before i upgrades from win2k to XP, and its only like 2 years (max) since i started using win7 on my home computers... and i have set most things in win7 to look like XP.... if it aint broke dont fix it.

A lot of peoples' problems with the 3.3 build is that they built their settings around the horrendous youtube setup guides (read: almost ALL the youtube "speedup" guides out there, all of which have settings that make no sense when you actually do basic math on the numbers). Purging the settings file cleans up that mess.

The E6600 chip is a 64-bit processor, so you'll gain a lot more potential out of your system than just the 0.75GB from OS limitations, motherboard support for ram or not.

Plus, XP is due for end of support lifetime soon, and will stop getting security updates around that time.

Yea, i know all the Win XP stuff, but back to the client issue.

Ive not used any guides to (try and) boost speeds ect. ive used the client since mid 2009 and just upgrades as versions came along. only thing ive changed is under "bandwith" and "queueing", and only regarding under "number of connections" and "queue settings", and ofc transfer speed cap.

But again. this problem only came with v3.3. and its almost sertainly connected to the "Disk overloaded 100% " thing.... and that is not a computer issue but a issue that came with this client version.

Ive now removed and not just stopped about 40% of my torrents but i still have the same problem.

So im asking if there is any changed in this client version that could cause this?

the client does not "check files" anymore ether, its just stuck at "checked 0.0%" same goes for "set download location" for allready downloaded files... its just stuck at "moving..." but no files are moved. im thinking this has something to do with the client thinking the disk overloaded or something like that.

tbh, i couldnt tell u since i dont realy know.... i installed what ever was the latest one in mid 2009, and every now and then i get a notive that there is a new version and i pressed the accept button and it installed and rebooted the client and presto, next version. never botherd with the version numbers since its allways worked....

read on the Announcements page that the new "µTorrent 3.3 Stable" has lots of new Disk i/o functions that is supose to make it better... maybe they didnt try it out with lots of torrents in the client (i had about 2500ish now im down to 1500ish with no sign of improvments).

I was having the same speed problem. All of my downloads slowed to almost nothing after the latest update. They either didn't download at all, or they slowed to between 1-3k per second.

I cleared out all my seeds and lowered my queue settings to only 2 active torrents, with only 2 downloads allowed. My speeds then jumped back up to normal levels.

Using version 3.3 build 29544

Hope that provides a clue for the guys with bigger brains to figure out. :)

Archived