Trying to set up a VPN but I have no idea what I am doing

noob8

I am a networking idiot so please take it easy on me... I found a free vpn and I want to use it with utorrent. I also have a program that shuts utorrent off if the vpn stops working. I painfully used a dns leak webpage and managed to "stop the leaks" and it was connected but utorrent was not quite downloading yet.. To test it out, I disconnected from the VPN and made sure that utorrent would shut off and it did but after that, I couldn't connect back to the vpn (some 800 and something error I think) and my normal connection was jacked up. It had the yellow explanation mark on my network icon and trouble shooting and rebooting of the wireless modem did not help. I had to do a system restore to get it back to working....:(

I have no idea what I am doing at all. I am doing ipconfig/ flush commands like I know what I am doing but I am clueless.

Am I supposed to "change" to a static IP? Do the settings on my router page need to be altered? What settings do I use in utorrent? Is there any point at all in still using peerblock with a vpn?

I am on a slow dsl connection to a wireless router but the system I want to do this on is hard lined to my ASUS RT-N10+router if that helps.

Should I just order a networking for dummies book at this point?:D

Get help from the VPN provider, you don't have to do anything in uTorrent to use it with a VPN. But if the VPN provider does not allow you to forward your listening port at their server you will never be connectible so download speeds will suffer. And there is NEVER any point in using peerblock.

Archived