Seed, slow upload even with connections.

Frenchmassacre

Hi guys,

I use a lot of torrents and have a very decent internet connection (28Mbps down & 20Mbps up at current time according to speedtest.net) :cool:

I have found that my maximum upload speed is around 3MBps during normal operations. I try to seed files to a ratio between 5 & 10 minimum. (I need the computer to be on almost 24/7 and don't use much of the internet so let it seed as long as it doesn't affect the performances or internet speeds on other devices...)

However I often have torrents running all night and connected to dozens of people downloading at very low speed or not at all but my computer seems to seed nothing or very little to these people.. I end up leaving my computer on 24h and only seeding a few GB's (when offering a dozen GB at least). I know that their download rate affects the speed at which i seed but I was wondering if it could be on my side that there is an problem...

For example i am currently seeding Arrow Episode 21 by PublicHD i'm connected to 20/781 peers and only seed 75KBps (it being my only current torrent, I'm about to re-download a new bunch) :/

The fact that i don't seed to my full potential is in no way problematic to me, I'm just trying to be a good guy greg here so if anyone has a suggestion to make... :D

Thanks in advance.

FrenchMassacre

3MBps is 24Mbps

Whats your point? :/ I just tested the speed now to give a basis, but I'm not the only one using it at this current time so the speed is not representative of my usual speed... I'm not asking for a lesson on computing I know the difference between bytes and bits I'm asking for advice on allowing faster uploads...

1 Byte = 8Bits. Thanks Sherlock. My current connection, as stated in the previous message is of 20Mbps (upload) this is however not my usual speed... my usual speed is actually closer to 30-32Mbps. The connection is however slowed down by the fact that my room mate is watching a movie in streaming right now (happy now ciaobaby?). 3MBps / 24Mbps is the speed I get when i seed at a maximum rate. That statement was just to prove that the settings and connections allow for faster uploads, since it has been done in the past and no changes have been done to the settings. Going back to my original question, is it normal that i do not seed to users who are downloading at slow speeds(from me or otherwise, but connected to me) and is there a way for me to increase my seeding speed?

I was not asking you to assume anything, :)

I have found that my maximum upload speed is around 3MBps during normal operations.

You questioned my ability to do maths in the hope of showing my speed was slower.

a. I said that during normal operations this was the max speed i got (seen above) I understand how it could have confused you and fixed the original message so no one else gets confused. ;)

b. in either case, even diminished like earlier today the speed is faster than the global average, is very decent and allows for fast seeds.

I'll actually be very nice and show you my recent speed tests so you can see for yourself: :rolleyes:

Capture_zpsa50e14a7.jpg

Now i understand I cannot send more than users request, but how is it that they don't request any of me when I am not seeding at all and they are sometimes downloading at barely 5KBps (I sometimes see my speed being very slow when downloading even though I am connected to people with 100% and assume its the same for them)

Is it just Utorrent being inefficiency, is there a wrong setting on one side or am i just unlucky enough to connect to every person who cant download with more than 100KBps?

Now i understand I cannot send more than users request, but how is it that they don't request any of me when I am not seeding at all and they are sometimes downloading at barely 5KBps (I sometimes see my speed being very slow when downloading even though I am connected to people with 100% and assume its the same for them)

Then you are probably on a private tracker, with grossly overseeded jobs.

I'm running build 29625, with six jobs running, and a test with 1.4GB Linux distro ISO came down in a little over 20 minutes, with NO "disc overloading, No waitng for meta data, no interminable checking, download speeds of up to 9MB/s, upload at ~20 kB/s.

Then you are probably on a private tracker, with grossly overseeded jobs.

I'm running build 29625, with six jobs running, and a test with 1.4GB Linux distro ISO came down in a little over 20 minutes, with NO "disc overloading, No waitng for meta data, no interminable checking, download speeds of up to 9MB/s, upload at ~20 kB/s.

Must have some sweet specs and a sweet internet connection to get those kinds of speeds... What are you running on? (though this is kind of off topic..)

Ii'm running build 29625 as well.. so you're telling me the only reason I don't get to seed at full speed is simply because there are too many seeders of available in the first place.... well that's a shame... i guess i'll stick to the way things are for now. Lots of wasted time which could be nicely utilized by peers... Makes me feel bad when I get shit download speeds and see all the time wasted by me not seeding at full speed to people, you know... :/ That's why I asked this in the first place... :(

Must have some sweet specs and a sweet internet connection to get those kinds of speeds... What are you running on?

Nothing spectacular, uTorrent is running on a six/seven year old core duo PC, SATA drives and a unlimited data connaction with a fixed external IP.

It simply that I don't blindly accept the speed guide settings as "optimal" and have spent time tweaking various setting and documenting the results for many given job loading scenarios

Archived