"This program is freeware, if you paid for it you have been scammed.."

aryx

I'm getting the same problem. I got the Speed Guide config screen when I started µTorrent one day and then every time I loaded it and so I ended up having to reinstall (well - the equivalent of a reinstall for µTorrent - trash the APPDATA stuff and re-download the exe). I doubt it was a µTorrent problem, with the amount of crap I put this PC's filesystem through I'm guessing a "file became corrupted" (don't you just love that explanation)

Anyways I'm getting the "this program is freeware" screen sometimes on loading µTorrent. Not a big deal I can't resist the urge to know the fix.

Was thinking of using Sysinternals registry monitor or file monitor as µTorrent loads to see if I can find the trigger

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Firstly let me thank everyone associated with uTorrent for this wondeful & light weight program.

I have been using 1.7.5 version of uTorrent on Windows XP Sp2. So far I have had no issues with it but lately as explained in this thread I am getting the warning dialog much too often.

Now the issue is that I have scheduled uTorrent to run at a particalur time(due to ISP restrictions) unattended, so when dialog pops up in such cases the client does not download anything.

I looked for any settings to disable the dialog but was unable to find anything useful. Any advise to stop the nag screen would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for your tips, will try out your suggestions and update.

Update: Tried both options, I still get the dialog on startup with the 1.8 alpha version as well as on setting the graceful shutdown key. However I noticed today that even with the dialog present, it's just that Utorrent UI is not shown but the torrents are downloaded in the background, so that's okay with me. I guess I didn't realise this earlier.

How about this as a proposed fix to the freeware nag screen for now: an additional small download that prevents the nag screen from happening at all, for those who want to go thru the trouble, and have already seen the screen many times.

Seems to me that would still allow you to have the freeware screen appear for ALL users initially, and then those who find it a real hassle (for any number of reasons) can solve their own problem without bothering you.

Yes, I realize the nag screen is only supposed to open once, but for whatever reason that obviously is not working properly. So for those people who go thru the hassle of searching google and finding the forums and searching the forums to find the right topic and then reading thru the messages, allow them to fix it on their own by doing something additional.

I'm not a programmer, but am an advanced user. There must be some little bit of code we can download, or something that we can add to the .dat file or whatever that will prevent the nag screen from loading the "first" time, since it seems to think everytime is the first time. Or some additional code that would close the screen automatically. Something.

And again, this would not apply to new downloads of utorrent -- they would still get the nag screen. A user who really wants to stop it can search google and find how to download the little bit of code or however it would be done.

Sure, ultimately you want to get the problem fixed for everyone. But how about the above as a solution for right now?

(P.S. I've got 7 friends using utorrent, made a point to ask every one of them about the nag screen, and every single one see's it every time they re-boot.)

The main point here is that this nag screen breaks the program for many hardcore users. I too am one of those that have my machine setup to do many things while I'm not around, and this nag screen is a really big deal for me. So big that I've had to go back to another bt client that i hate, just because it isn't broken.

It's admirable that you want people to get their money back. But keep in mind that utorrent is in no way liable for another person who ripped someone off. You didn't do anything wrong. If someone packages a bunch of free youtube videos together and sells them to a newbie and then the newbie later finds out that all these vids were free, the newbie can "demand" that youtube refund his money all he wants, but they don't owe him a dime. And no court would ever say otherwise. You're not responsible for the actions of others.

Have the freeware message run contantly in the Title bar if you want, or someplace else within the program, or whatever. Have the message timed to disappear after the first week of use or something like that. If for some reason the message doesn't disappear, at least it wouldn't break the program. I love utorrent and want to be able to use it.

I've already tried all the fixes listed here. Believe me, I'd love to get it fixed. In fact, here's what I'd be willing to do. I'd be willing to go back to v 1.6.1 and use that. But even when I tried that the box kept coming up. So what I may do is a complete deletion of every possible utorrent file, and then download v 1.6.1 and keep the updater turned off.

Other than appdata, are there any other places where utorrent stores any sort of files? Any place where info about this nag screen could be hidden? Keep in mind, I already tried deleting the dat and olddat files and that did not fix things. So I'd like to know of any possible place where files could be stored, I'll delete them all, run Ccleaner, and then download a fresh version of 1.6.1 and keep the updater off. I'd be perfectly happy with that

Dreadwing, the smart-aleck comments aren't appreciated. If you've got a solution, please share it.

Otherwise, if I can make 1.6.1 work, how is that not better than a version that doesn't work? Isn't an unsupported version that works better than a supported version that doesn't?

If you care to go back and read the board, I made my first post in August of last year. I've waited patiently for a fix. I've tried every fix mentioned.

So please tell me your fix.

...And they have no reason to. 1.6 is way old. 1.7 is old but has been stable for months (Yes the initial releases had bugs,but you know what, they were fixed by a dedicated coding and support staff). I can't wait to see who comes out of the woodwork when 1.8 is in a publicly presentable state ... I will NEVER understand people choosing to regress because of a problem instead of upgrading (to the bleeding edge if need be) to see if it has been fixed, or if it hasn't working with (whomever) to get the fix done. If it's that much of an inconvenience you'd think they'd become motivated to DEAL with it instead of ignoring it.

jewelisheaven, I AM trying to deal with it! Been doing so for almost 5 months! Tell me how to fix it if you've got the answer.

The reason I suggested 1.6.1 is because it never gave me any trouble and I never got the popup. I didn't need any support, it just worked. The new and improved versions are the ones causing problem.

Dreadwing, you're looking at it from utorrent's point of view, not from the user's point of view. The user needs a solution to his problem. As stated previously, I agree that we want a solution for everyone. But in the meantime, since it's been five months, that's a long time to go without a program. I mean, let's be real here.

If you read my posts, you'll see I'm not a whiner and complainer. I'm someone looking for a solution. But just saying 'the current version is the one that is supported', well, that's great, but it doesn't solve anyone's problem. There has got to be some sort of workaround in the meantime.

Where else does utorrent store files other than appdata? I promise I will never ask for support for 1.6.1. If I can't make it work, then how am I any worse off than I am now?

Any possible solutions are welcome. But how about listing some solutions. I've tried all the proposed solutions here.

Dreadwing, you're looking at it from utorrent's point of view

I'm looking at that from the point of view of a developer, not specifically uTorrent.

Far too often (yes even with my own programs) people have come to me with "bugs" that they've found. At the time, those bugs had been fixed not one or two but upwards of TEN build releases previous.

Where else does utorrent store files other than appdata?

Unless you set the preferences otherwise, it doesn't store files anywhere else.

Archived