uTorrent 3.3 (build 29625) resets resume.dat

vtkch

I've just upgraded to 3.3 build 29625.

When I run application it cleans list of torrents. I tried to add some torrents and when I restarted application it cleaned it again. I've figured out, it resets resume.dat file when it starts. How to fix that?

I run uTorrent on Windows 7 from USB-drive.

Yes, it does. My Windows user acount have administrator rights. When application starts, it renames resume.dat to resume.dat.old and creates new resume.dat file.

By the way, I've just tried 3.3.1 beta and had the same result. 3.0 version worked fine.

It's very strange bug.

Exploring the trouble, I've found it depends how fast I clicked OK button in warning window about using application on USB-drive. As I wrote I use uTorrent on USB-drive, so it runs in so called portable mode. In this mode a warning dialog window with OK button appears every time I start the program. It warns: Be sure to exit uTorrent before you unplug the USB drive!

If I click OK button very fast (less than half a second), uTorrent doesn't reset resume.dat (does not have time to rename?). If I click OK a few seconds later, it resets resume.dat always.

I did this experiment a dozen times.

By the way how to rid this warning dialog window?

• 1 month later...

There is no difference between two cases (normal and fail). It's exactly the same:

[2013-06-11 01:38:24] NOTE: Settings file found in directory of executable; using that.

[2013-06-11 01:38:24] computer id: 223BB2345754DDB0BCC5E23FED54F83D7EEC5E2E

[2013-06-11 01:38:24] total physical memory 4226117632 max disk cache 33554432

[2013-06-11 01:38:24] NOTE: Settings file found in directory of executable; using that.

[2013-06-11 01:38:24] Using IP address 192.168.1.35

[2013-06-11 01:38:25] IPv6 is installed

[2013-06-11 01:38:25] Got Teredo Address: 2001:0:4137:9e76:2819:583:a186:b6f9

However, the result is drammatically different, if I wait some seconds before press button.

Please explain me what's the difference. My Windows account is member of Administrators Group. The only difference is SID of my Windows account and Administrator.

I tried to launch under Adminstrator account with the same result.

Actually it has not. Both accounts are in Adminstrators Group. You can check out Local Security Policy, by default it sets policy for Administrators Group and never does for Adminstrator account. File Security setting for computer disk by default uses the same way,

Moreover, running under Adminstrator's account gets the same result. If uTorrent is running on built-in disk drive, there is no trouble (under Administrator or not, no difference). When uTorrent is running on removable disk drive (like USB-drive), the issue is exists. It does not depend on account. As I wrote, when uTorrent is running on removable disk drive, it shows warning window with OK button, and issue depends how fast I press OK button. That's a problem.

You can easily check the issue, if you launch uTorrent on removable disk drive.

Do you realy read? I wrote, I launched uTorrent on removable (USB) drive. I didn't install it anywhere. uTorrent.exe is on removable drive.

Yes, we really do read.

As we told you, the new update system will not replace it on your removable drive anymore, it used to, though.

Now it will write it to %Appdata%\uTorrent\utorrent.exe instead, regardless where it is located before.

I've explained in the RC-thread to the devs that it shouldn't matter if you replace it, it still can write to the folder where you store your settings. Maybe they'll listen, hopefully.

Archived