Disk Overloading hell

HailAlistair

System: Windows 8 64bit

uTorrent version: Last Stable (3.3 29625)

Every time I start downloading something big, or many small files (4-6Gb each), uTorrents goes in Disk Overload 100% and stops downloading anything (actually it does not stop completely, but the download speed becomes so slow that It is almost irrelevant). The only thing I can do when uTorrent does this is restart it and hope that It does not do it again.

The problems becomes impossible to handle for very big files (60-100Gb+). In that case, It is impossible to me to download anything. (Even restarting uTorrent, it is always stuck on Disk Overload)

I have tried EVERYTHING. Changing cache size, disabling cache, disabling-enabling pre-allocation, disabling my Internet Security, reinstalling uTorrent, using another disk (I have 6 HDDs, it does NOT matter which one I'm downloading to), using another operating system (I tried with Windows 7 32bit), using another version of uTorrent (I tried all the 3.3 releases, 3.2.3 and even 2.2.1!). The problem is ALWAYS the same.

What can I do?!

Update: When uTorrent goes in Disk Overload 100% it stops doing anything, not only downloading. Is it not really pre-allocating files because there is no disk activity what so ever going on.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have tried EVERYTHING.... (I tried all the 3.3 releases, 3.2.3 and even 2.2.1!). The problem is ALWAYS the same.

What can I do?!

Not EVERYTHING...

0. Try using a SATA drive, not a USB one

1. Backup your settings (*.dat)

2a. Stop all downloads and exit utorrent

2b. Replace your exe with the latest good 3.3.1 beta (@ my sig)

3. Replace your settings.dat with mine (@my sig/tips)

4. Adjust the upload limit to ~90% of your max sustainable connection *UPLOAD* rate, as well as your pref.->directories settings

5. Test with this test torrent, see that you can get to your max connection rate... http://releases.ubuntu.com/13.04/ubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

6. Try yours again

7. Report back here...

and good luck :)

I have tried EVERYTHING.... (I tried all the 3.3 releases' date=' 3.2.3 and even 2.2.1!). The problem is ALWAYS the same.

What can I do?![/quote']

Not EVERYTHING...

0. Try using a SATA drive, not a USB one

1. Backup your settings (*.dat)

2a. Stop all downloads and exit utorrent

2b. Replace your exe with the latest good 3.3.1 beta (@ my sig)

3. Replace your settings.dat with mine (@my sig/tips)

4. Adjust the upload limit to ~90% of your max sustainable connection *UPLOAD* rate, as well as your pref.->directories settings

5. Test with this test torrent, see that you can get to your max connection rate... http://releases.ubuntu.com/13.04/ubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

6. Try yours again

7. Report back here...

and good luck :)

Of course, I tested using both internal and external HDDs.

I'm testing your settings now in uTorrent beta, they don't seem to make much of a difference: Disk overloaded 100% as soon as I added a 150Gb torrent, after having downloaded only 80Mb of that torrent. After going in Disk Overloaded, uTorrent continues downloading but only at 1Kb/s. The odd this is that even if I pause or stop all torrents, the Disk where I'm downloading seem stuck on 100% active time. Even if I close uTorrent.

(No, the disk is fine, it's not failing. How can I know it? I tested it using 6 different HDDs!)

I appreciate that you are trying to help me. But I'm not stupid. Of course it is in task manager, and I'll tell you more: most of the time it stays in task manager even if I tell it to kill the damned process multiple times. Most of the times I have to log-out or restart the computer to kill it.

Anyway, I found something that seem to solve the problem, or at least mitigate it by a lot.

If I set "diskio.sparse.files" in Advanced to True, the Disk Overload problem seems to disappear.

I have tested this with your options, and uTorrent beta

- diskio.sparse.files = false (default): I add a 150Gb torrent -> uTorrent keeps going in disk overload and virtually stops all downloading, most of the times I am unable to stop uTorrent from whatever is doing with my disk. (surely is not allocating, nor downloading) Sometimes I can kill the process in Task Manager, sometimes I have to restart/log-out.

- diskio.sparse.files = true: I add a 150Gb torrent -> uTorrent downloads normally at full speed. No disk overload for 40 minutes now.

Now my question is: is this option a problem? I have read somewhere that It causes a lot of fragmentation. Is it true? Can I leave it on without worries? (Windows 8 defragmentation runs once a week anyway...)

Good. I guess we'll have to ask the devs about fragmentation. I also read it was best left false... Maybe Win8 has no issues with it any more.

What is your "full speed" and what was it with your old settings+3.3?

PS: No, I don't think you are stupid... and I have no telepathic powers... ;)

Will be interesting to also compare to your old settings + parse_files - true with both 3.3 and 3.3.1 :)

With my settings (which are the default settings with sparse files enabled, pre-allocation enabled , write out untouched blocks every 2 minutes disabled, encryption enabled, cache 128MB, max active download 10, max active torrents 250, global maximum number of connection 500, max number of connected peers per torrent 100, upload slots 8) in both 3.3.1 and 3.3, disk overload seems disappeared.

The only thing that I noticed is that 3.3.1 seems to download faster than 3.3, Is that possible? (same settings, and same torrents)

Most of the above settings are in my settings as well (except sparse_files), so I guess that for very large files it can help. I guess there is some kind of discrapancy as well, sine the help file says:

"

This option cannot be used in conjunction with pre-allocate all files. If both options are enabled simultaneously, pre-allocation will take precedence.

"

Which means - it is in theory - unused, or that there is a bug... :P

3.3.1 seems to download faster than 3.3

There where quite a few issues that were fixed, such as the speed limiters. So I guess - yes, it should be a bit faster... especially with my settings ... :)

Every time I start downloading something big, or many small files (4-6Gb each), uTorrents goes in Disk Overload 100% and stops downloading anything (actually it does not stop completely, but the download speed becomes so slow that It is almost irrelevant). The only thing I can do when uTorrent does this is restart it and hope that It does not do it again.

The problems becomes impossible to handle for very big files (60-100Gb+). In that case, It is impossible to me to download anything. (Even restarting uTorrent, it is always stuck on Disk Overload)

I have tried EVERYTHING. Changing cache size, disabling cache, disabling-enabling pre-allocation, disabling my Internet Security, reinstalling uTorrent, using another disk (I have 6 HDDs, it does NOT matter which one I'm downloading to), using another operating system (I tried with Windows 7 32bit), using another version of uTorrent (I tried all the 3.3 releases, 3.2.3 and even 2.2.1!). The problem is ALWAYS the same.

What can I do?!

Update: When uTorrent goes in Disk Overload 100% it stops doing anything, not only downloading. Is it not really pre-allocating files because there is no disk activity what so ever going on.

Hi! I also encountered this problem can't understand what's the matter but I noticed one detail if run under the administrator account(built-in), all is well. only I turn on ordinary account the problem of resumes apparently the decision in the security of the system as the built-in administrator account all excellent. if you find a simpler solution let me know:)

Capture.JPG

I'm noticing this new strange behavior. As before no disk overload because I have sparse files on, but every 5-10 minutes the download speed goes to 0 for 1 minute. (you can see it in the image, at the end)

Note: I'm downloading 2 different torrents from more than 3 seeders, It most be a problem from my side.

This new problem does not occur using your settings (except for sparse files enabled of course). I'm in 3.3 by the way. (I cannot use beta versions, they are not allowed on the trackers I use)

PS

Do you have a list of things you changed in you settings, relative to the default ones? It is clear to me at this point that I should use your settings, but I would love to know more about them.

Just to interject here

It is clear to me at this point that I should use your settings, but I would love to know more about them.

That should be the case of ANY settings especially the ones from the setup guide.

"A tool always works best in the hands of someone who knows how to use it."

Every time I start downloading something big' date=' or many small files (4-6Gb each), uTorrents goes in Disk Overload 100% and stops downloading anything (actually it does not stop completely, but the download speed becomes so slow that It is almost irrelevant). The only thing I can do when uTorrent does this is restart it and hope that It does not do it again.

What can I do?!

Update: When uTorrent goes in Disk Overload 100% it stops doing anything, not only downloading. Is it not really pre-allocating files because there is no disk activity what so ever going on.[/quote']

Hi! I also encountered this problem can't understand what's the matter but I noticed one detail if run under the administrator account(built-in), all is well. only I turn on ordinary account the problem of resumes apparently the decision in the security of the system as the built-in administrator account all excellent. if you find a simpler solution let me know:)

Very interesting! Thanks! I don't know how to help you, I'm sorry, but I have made a new discovery. If I set uTorrent to run always as Administrator, I have no Disk Overload problem even with sparse files disabled!

Tested in uTorrent 3.3.1 beta and rafi's settings. No sparse files enabled. I added 4 torrents (4,8,12 and 18GB) and took these screenshots after a few minutes.

uTorrent run as administrator: (all ok)

3.3.1+beta+with+Administartor.JPG

uTorrent run normally (disk overload soon after starting downloading, uTorrent stops downloading)

3.3.1+beta+without+Administartor.JPG

Same results in 3.3 stable.

I have made a new discovery.

I wouldn't call it new, when it is same as SS2000... Interesting - yes...

Now, go find out exactly what uT related files of yours are not accessible as regular user... or are protected by your security/AV software. Better yet - uninstall the AV and try again...

I have made a new discovery.

I wouldn't call it new' date=' when it is same as SS2000... Interesting - yes...

Now, go find out exactly what uT related files of yours are not accessible as regular user... or are protected by your security/AV software. Better yet - uninstall the AV and try again...[/quote']

It's new because I did not have to change account. I am running an Administrator account. I just checked the "run this program as an administrator" in the compatibility tab.

Uninstall Kaspersky Internet Security you say? Maybe I'll try. (quitting it doesn't change a thing)

Uninstall Kaspersky Internet Security you say?
That is what I said' date=' yes...[/quote']

Strange. Disk overload but less and it does start downloading normally after some minutes. This is without Kas, but with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall active.

Windows+Defender+2+%252B+Firewall.JPG

Archived