Disk Overloading hell

HailAlistair

I didn't need to run uTorrent as Administrator neither did I have sparse files enabled.

You probably use a 56k-modem anyway.

Turns out my issue wasn't related to my Raid, my other drive does this too. Mostly at speeds >10MB/s though, and the difference is that it does write out from the RAM, just not fast enough so it builds up anyway. Works for smaller files most of the time but anything >~1GB is gonna cause overloading after a bit.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to know why and fix it so others do not need to face the same problem as I do.
I am running Utorrent 3.4 Alpha (build 29535)

Maybe this is why? When running an alpha you should expect instability. Try with the beta.

I am using version 3.3.1 (build 29704)

I have not had a problem with disk overload yet.

I did not touch my anti virus also.

Things are okay not using the beta.

Just to add into the conversation.

When installing Utorrent it puts an acception in Windows Firewall.

Could it do this for all Anti-virus software?

If it just seems like it is firewalls and anti-virus preventing Utorrent from really working.

Then what is the problem.

Maybe it is Anti-virus and Firewalls but even if it is lets make it easier for the people to work the software.

Also to make it perform even better.

You can always make something better.

What EVERY possible combination?

Adding firewall exceptions are one thing, but every AV producer collaberating??

Anti-Virus software has NO "hooks" for external applications to STOP it scanning for VERY OBVIOUS reasons, in fact most AV software has protection built in to STOP that happening.

I have just experienced a overload with Utorrent.

I was downloading and uploading just fine before accept now it came back.

I am Force start to download.and DHT:disabled

on private tracker.

That is the only difference i have made.

Utorrent Beta Build 29704

Each piece downloaded 4MB

Not sure if that matters.

And I'm here again, to give my situation. After having this issue arise, I went to the forums looking for help. Ciaobaby was condescending, and wrong btw, so I decided to get a 256gb SSD and do some testing. Since he claims the problem is with "the disk being too slow", I tried a test. Using the settings provided by Rafi, on a BRAND NEW fresh install of Windows 7 with NOTHING ELSE installed, I had the same problem.

Intel Core i7 with 16gb RAM, 256gb SSD with 500 mb/s read/write, internet is 30 down, 6 up. The torrent was a 20gb file I was using for the test.

At first it was running fine, at 3.5mb/s. Then disk overloaded. Exit uTorrent, can't relaunch. Look in task manager, end task, reload, it works for a while. Sometimes it would happen again, sometimes it allows the file to finish. Delete the downloaded file, and start over, did this multiple times with about a 30% failure rate on the second launch, 75% failure rate on the first launch of the torrent.

The other machine is running Windows 7 on a 2700k i7, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD. Using another torrent program, testing the same 20gb torrent file. Failure rate, 0%.

Go ahead and tell me this is a problem on my system.

I've tried multiple versions. This has been happening since April. I stopped using uTorrent for a month, hoping it would be fixed. Came back, installed the latest, and it happened again. So I decided to jump on the forums and see, and sure enough there's still multiple posts on this problem.

As for myself, with Win7/x86 and a 50M connection - I never seen it happen. Over LAN, with my SATA disk I get to ~12MB/s for it to start overload with multi-files torrent. And starts at a faster speed (~30M) with a single file torrent

What EVERY possible combination?

Adding firewall exceptions are one thing, but every AV producer collaberating??

Anti-Virus software has NO "hooks" for external applications to STOP it scanning for VERY OBVIOUS reasons, in fact most AV software has protection built in to STOP that happening.

How hard was it to make Utorrent make an acception for Windows Firewall?

I know anti-virus have real time protection as they say but is their something the developers can do to make Utorrent not a problem.

It seems all other software are doing well on peoples machines, i would like Utorrent also to do the same.

What are some solutions.

giving remote access to all users that have a problem.

I do not care how we get to the solution because saying we can not do anything seems to not be helping.

If the end user can not fix the problem then the design of the software should change.

I would like Utorrent to become even easier to use if that is possible as their is less to think about.

But not use the functionality of it.

I downloaded 26 gig torrent.

alot of 8gig torrents.

one at a time.

But leave others to seed but non were.

just this new torrent for some reason overloaded and i reported it.

It seems fine now and downloading at 1.3MB/s

How hard was it to make Utorrent make an acception for Windows Firewall?

Firewall software is designed with the capability of programmatically adding exceptions for applications.

It wouldn't be a very good anti-virus that allowed itself to be shut down by an application it is supposed to be stopping would it!

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I've had this problem for probably about a year now. It comes and goes as I upgrade between versions. The most recent build I'm on started happening again. I'm running 3.3.1 build 29812.

I've got 4x4TB 7200rpm SATA3 drives in RAID. I've got dual gigabit pipes coming into my house. Before my upgrade, I would typically get somewhere in the neighbourhood of 70-80MB/s depending on the files..

Now, I get disk overloaded almost immediately.

ciaobaby, I don't know what you think you're accomplishing by trying to say I don't have a problem hence nobody else should! Every thread on this topic, I see your completely irrelevant and idiotic posts about how we're all making this problem up etc. It's obvious to me none of the developers of utorrent care, or give a shit, but you need to get off their dicks. Seriously, you're not doing anyone any favours trying to sweep this under the rug.

Something is wrong with the latest releases. Yes, I've tried all the 'fixes' that really, if you understood anything about computers, aren't going to fix anything. The issue is embedded in the way that utorrent handles writing to disk. Yes, it is a bug because it wasn't there in previous versions. These are the facts.

Is this problem caused by people with more then one hard drive?

I have a 2 hard drives in my laptop, a master drive and a back up.

Could it be because it is in this configuration that it would cause Utorrent to have writing and read problems.

Like it seems like RAIDS.

Maybe it is a controller. Timing, I have no idea. Just putting it out there. to think about.

• 1 month later...

I have same problem and nothing here helps!

I was using win7 and now i am on win8 x64 with SSD and slow internet only 10/1 Mbit/s! same problems with both

For myself i tracked the problem to using bitcoin wallet (BTC) which are making 10+ TCIP connections to make utorrent slow down to 2-10kb/s and show disk overload ! (still download SSD is at 1-2% usage!)

As soon i close the BTC wallet, utorrent speed resume to full!

clearly its utorrent fault!

Hope this info help tracking the issue

PS: tested more, looks like diskio.max_write_queue helps a lot, now i am using 10 000 value and maybe it slow down only after few GB of downloads, need to DL more to see!

Also it only helps if i disable both:

Enable cashing of the disk read

Enable cashing of the disk writes

As soon i close the BTC wallet, utorrent speed resume to full!

clearly its utorrent fault!

Obviously it is uTorrent's fault IF YOU CLOSE A DIFFERENT APPLICATION and things return to normal!!!!!!!!!!

I was using win7 and now i am on win8 x64 with SSD

SSDs ARE inherently slower on write cycles so WILL overload.

@ciaobaby

duno whats your problem!

1. only utorrent has a problem running with bitcoin wallet or any alt coin wallet atm i have primecoin wallet open mining 24h/7days and same problem

2. On win7 i had like 300 appz and none had problem with digital currency wallets

As i sad i have only 10Mbit/s down! SSD is like 1000x faster, i have win8 performance tab opened and SSD usage is 1-2% as soon i close primecoin wallet, utorrent cash start to empty and SSD usage goes up to 20-40% and no more disk overloads

@ciaobaby

duno whats your problem!

I don't have a problem at all
only utorrent has a problem running with bitcoin wallet

Possibly because your bandwidth setting in uTorrent are incorrect.

You seem to be missing the point that both BitCoin and uTorrent are BOTH competing for the SAME RESOURCES, if you have both limited Internet speeds AND a slow drive interface SOMETHING has to give way. Because uTorrent HAS to flush the cache at regular intervals it WILL conflict with BitCoin on a regular basis.

As you pointed out yourself, turning OFF BitCoin allows uTorrent to behave correctly, so how do you deduce that the problem is with uTorrent, when it DOES behave correctly when BitCoin is not running?

@ciaobaby

Sorry but you are wrong!

This is disk overload issue not Internet one!, one should ask why TCIP connections from primecoin wallet have impact on utorrent and its communication with SSD/HDD

To my point its i tried using 1300MB cash and then no slow downs till the cash get full and stay full, internet speed is at max and when cash usage reach 1300MB HDD overload start because NONE cash is writen to HDD and the rate it writes to SSD is like ~100kb/s!

At same time i can start to write to SDD from other application and i get 200MB/s+ so its just utorrent craping out

his is disk overload issue not Internet one!, one should ask why TCIP connections from primecoin wallet have impact on utorrent and its communication with SSD/HDD

Yes I am aware of that, what you are missing is that BitCoin is ALSO writing to the disc at the same time and therefore data is being queued by the drive interface.

so its just utorrent craping out
No it is just that uTorrent 'CARES' about the data so it is trying to protect it from being corrupted or abandoned from the cache. Other applications that cache downloads before writing (such as BitCoin) will simply abandon the cached data that cannot be queued for the drive, uTorrent does it's best to KEEP the already downloaded data, so if the drive write queue is full (overloaded) it will STOP adding data to the cache UNTIL the write queue has reduced to a "safe" level and the cache can be flushed. Disk Overloading is actually a safeguard against wasted downloading and/or data corruption.

• 4 weeks later...

looks like it is not a popular problem, but I just experienced this with 3.3.1 as well. The torrent in question was MAME extras which is essentially a couple thousand directories and images totaling 16gb. The torrent goes full speed for a little while but then the disk overload kicks in and the speed drops to double digits. Now NORMALLY when disk overload pops up it is because the disk is indeed overloaded (light is on almost constantly trying to write fast enough). I have an old laptop I use primarily for torrent downloads and if I try and do many fast torrents at once then it can easily run into disk overload. This case was different though (for one, its on a desktop system. One of my backups that is running a core 2 processor with 4gb ram) in that the disk drive is not experiencing any kind of load, in fact it flickers very little. Also looking at utorrent in task manager one can see it has ballooned to around 200mb, which seems to indicate some kind of cache issue. If I close utorrent it will stick around for quite some time while it tries to empty the cache (hence it still stick round in task manager) which can take up to 30 minutes. If i force it closed then utorrent requires a file scan when it starts up again.

Its a backup computer so it isn't running much else (I currently only use it for large torrent downloads) so I can safely rule out other software interference. It does seem however that the issue only pops up when the planets are aligned just right. I am sure it prolly has to do with the number of files open ultimately but for now not sure.

Archived