Disk Overloading hell

HailAlistair

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't 3 a bit low for your connection?

I think you should try go :

1. with *your* upload speed limit (900-1000) , but still leave the sparse_files FALSE . This was my intended settings.

If this "fails", it means they have some issue with pre-allocate (at least, when combined with this sparse_files).

2. try pre-allocate *disabled* + sparse_files TRUE (should be OK) /or/ FALSE (should overload)

As expected. The problem is that with pre-allocate "enabled" it should have the exact same behavior (=OK) regardless of the sparse settings :( I doesn't, right?

Edit: from the help:

"diskio.sparse_files: Enabling this option causes µTorrent to allocate only the data that it writes, but will inform the filesystem of the file's size (so that it can attempt to reserve enough contiguous space on the hard drive without having to physically zero all of the space out for the file). "

"This option cannot be used in conjunction with pre-allocate all files. If both options are enabled simultaneously, pre-allocation will take precedence."

I think you are on a higher level than me in these questions.

Would be good if I helped you to specify the bug.

With my settings and downloading typical movie files my download speed can be up to 15, but with this gigantic file it will not go over 5.5.

Might be interesting to delete the torrent, and examine the file on disk after re-starting a new download, see if the "pre-allocation" actually works and when (=full size file)... Overload ccn happen when downloading while the file is still being per-allocated.

BTW, have you noticed any "Allocating..." status display when you just start downloading? I have a hunch that utorrent is mixing downloading and allocation at the same time....

Hey rafi et all.

I've been running uTorrent on my netbook (Acer with an Atom processor) for a while, it's my torrent box that I remote into. This little bugger's worked fine and only noticed this problem in last little while with large(er) torrents. I've tried multiple settings tweaks, to no avail. re-launching / rebooting would be my biggest fix, where the torrent would resume and download in full without problem.

Reading into this thread the one thing I've tried now is to set the uTorrent.exe to run as admin. and so far so good, however I can't say it's a full fix as I'll need to try a few more as time goes by.

Info that some like to know:

Acer netbook with Atom 2600

4GB Ram, Win7 x86 (3.3Gb usable)

80GB Intel SSD, torrents are downloaded onto 2 separate 500GB USB drives.

Bandwidth is 25Mb Up, 10Mb Down

Wired, no WiFi

Latest uTorrent 3.3.1 (3xxxxx)

I seed, I have over 100 torrents going and no issues, I monitor my netbook's vitals extensively and unless I were to download 5 torrents at once, I never see it go above 30% CPU usage and while seeding only, it runs at it's lowest speedstep of 600Mhz using 3-5%.

Cheers all!

to run as admin

Did you consider to follow the new "concept" of installing/relocating utorrent.exe in %appdata%\utorrent? As well as maybe the downloaded files in a path with all access permissions?

Interesting.. I've honestly not tried that but mainly as I fear that when an updates is released (mine is set to auto update) it might screw things up - moving an app from its original install location.

My main goal here was to post my findings and also point out how low end my box was yet worked fine as some have been doubting performance as a potential cause and if that were the case, my netbook couldn't come close to torrenting.

Cheers.

Man, ciaobaby needs to shut up with his BS. This is an uTorrent bug.

This is the problem we're looking at:

ea1361afe92c342e0cd31e897baa3702.png

Most of us have good enough speeds. The image above is finished pieces not getting dumped in the disk immediately, which is uTorrent's fault because most of us should already have checked "dump finished pieces to disk". It keeps going until the cache is completely full, then it stays at disk overload

As of now, I've no idea how to solve it, All I know is, after a random period of diskoverload, uTorrent then functions as it should and the pieces start getting dumped normally.

• 2 weeks later...
Man, ciaobaby needs to shut up with his BS. This is an uTorrent bug.

This is the problem we're looking at:

ea1361afe92c342e0cd31e897baa3702.png

Most of us have good enough speeds. The image above is finished pieces not getting dumped in the disk immediately, which is uTorrent's fault because most of us should already have checked "dump finished pieces to disk". It keeps going until the cache is completely full, then it stays at disk overload

As of now, I've no idea how to solve it, All I know is, after a random period of diskoverload, uTorrent then functions as it should and the pieces start getting dumped normally.

This is the exact thing I saw as well - I think the pertinent variables are the size of the torrent and the number of other torrents that are active in utorrent (active in the sense they are running - they can be quiescent). Interestingly enough when utorrent claims disk overloaded I see a disk queue of zero (i.e. no disk activity) when running Resource Monitor in windows 7 and selecting the disk tab.

How about someone who actually knows the code enlightening us to how utorrent can claim disk overloaded when the WIndows 7 OS reports no disk activity? Any takers?

My last message (new test) was written while you sent your earlier message.

Now I have tested in this way:

pre-allocate *disabled* + sparse_files FALSE = overload

pre-allocate *disabled* + sparse_files TRUE = OK

Yes. This is working fine on Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) ;)

I use pre-allocate *ENABLED* + diskio.sparse_files TRUE.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you :):):)

I search for these settings from some months ago. On Windows 7 Ultimate (x86) I don't have problems.

I use pre-allocate *ENABLED* because if I want to delete a torrent + data files, when is downloading, the files from the hard drive are deleted instantly, else remain there. Tested by me.

If the pre-allocate is *DISABLED*, the torrent can't be removed from the hard drive when is downloading. Can be removed from the list only, but the files still remain on hard drive. Must be stopped first, then can be removed from the hard drive. This is another test of me.

I don't know why :( but a torrent + data files must be removed instantly from the hard drive when we want this :(

Anyway this is not a problem for me because I have pre-allocate *ENABLED* and is working fine :)

My best regards,

IM

LATER EDIT:

Reinstalled on a clean operating system.

Standard installation use pre-allocate *DISABLED*.

In time of dowloading, I try to delete the torrent + data and has been removed from my hard drive, but sometimes not. Must be removed manually from Windows Explorer :(

There is a problem with this command....

hello

i have the same probleme

always says disk overloaded 100%

never had this problem before, no sure if it's sins i update 3.2 to 3.3 (i m using windows xp)

but i can't downlaod anymore, it start downloading until the cache is full, it has nothing to do with disk speed, it just won't write to disk

i use a network drive , when i go to the download directory , the file are not there, if i close utorrent, it never close (probably waiting to write to disk) i have to kill it it task manager

i notice if i restart the 2 computers (oslo the one with the hard drive, if i only restart the computer with utorrent it don"t help)

and restart utorrent, i can download again for a times (don't know how long)

olso it i add a torrent for seeding , it start verification of the files but it stop mostly at 99% , sometimes before and sometimes it doesn't even start

i didn't read the ole topic but i thinl i gonna try to reinstall utorrent 3.2

ok i restored v 3.2.3, from an other computer , till now it's working again

Archived