Internet drops if seeding many torrents

HailAlistair

My internet connection drops completely every 10 minutes or so If i set "Maximum number of active torrets" to a large number (50+) and I have a lot of torrents seeding. It comes back after about a minute. While this is happening every computer on my home network is unable to connect to the internet. Is there something I can do about it?

System: Windows 8 64bit

uTorrent version: 3.3 Stable 29625

1. The computer using uTorrent is not connected to a router, only to the fiber optic modem provided by my internet provider and I seriously doubt you can replace it.

2. I'll try that.

3. upload speed is not an issue, I'm not really uploading a lot while this happens. (usually 100k, my upload speed is much more than that)

4. I'm using you setting, the only thing I want to change from them is the "Maximum number of active torrets", because I want all my torrents to be seeding.

5. I have a different DNS server on my laptop, but I'm unable to browser from there too when internet drops.

Yes, it's me again :) Fortunately this issue is less irritating than disk overload.

By the way, thanks for the help in this and the previous topic! ;)

5. I have a different DNS server on my laptop, but I'm unable to browser from there too when internet drops.

Not really of any interest or use knowing that, so.

IS the machine that uTorrent is running on using Google or OPenDNS for DNS lookups RATHER than the DNS server IP provided by your ISP???

Not really of any interest or use knowing that, so.

IS the machine that uTorrent is running on using Google or OPenDNS for DNS lookups RATHER than the DNS server IP provided by your ISP???

DNS provided by the ISP. I will change it to Google then.

Ok, I have changed the DNS server to Google and reduce the maximum number of connections to 200. Still, sporadically my internet connections drops for 1 minutes or so. :(

(And before someone comes out saying something about this not being uTorrent fault. My connection works PERFECTLY if uTorrent is closed)

this not being uTorrent fault

but other apps interacting ...

Other apps? I seriously doubt it. I have already checked Kaspersky and there is only one other app that runs in the background and uses a lot of internet: Crashplan. I will check it as well, buy i seriously doubt that is the problem.

Again, it only happens if I have a lot of torrents in "Seeding" status, even if very few are active.

Other apps? I seriously doubt it.

You're here asking for assistance!

Take it or leave it....Sometime it's a process to limit other factors!

Well, Crashplan is not causing the problem and I don't have any other app that could interfere with uTorrent. Unless you really think Dropbox could cause something like this. :lol:

this not being uTorrent fault

but other apps interacting ... http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=134114 ->hijackthis

Operating system: Windows 8 64bit

uTorrent version: latest stable (29625)

ISP: Fastweb (Italy)

DNS Server: Google 8.8.8.8

Router: None, just a fiber optic modem provided by my ISP

Software that can interfere:

- No VPN active

- No proxie

- Crashplan backup application CHECKED

- Kaspesky Internet Security CHECKED

Checked = I paused or shut down the app completely but noticed the internet drops persisting

Anyway I think you are not going in the right direction. If an apps would be interfering with uTorrent, I would always notice internet drops every time the two apps are opened or active.

In my case I notice internet drops ONLY If i'm seeding many torrents, which to me stinks of uTorrent doing something very wrong.

• 1 year later...

Well, I want to update this thread so if there is someone out there with a similar case, it will be easy for them to fix this.

What worked for me was to disable the DHT network. (uTorrent preferences, BitTorrent, uncheck "Enable DHT Network" and "Enable DHT network for new torrents") Thanks to rafi's best practices topic for suggesting this solution among others.  

So if you are a Fastweb customer (it's an italian ISP), know that your fiber optic router may have problem with the DHT network in the 3.x uTorrent versions. uTorrent 2.2.1 seems unaffected by this problem, even with DHT enable. 

Archived