Trojan in torrent downloaded with uTorrent Plus

amirek

I paid for uTorrent Plus because I wanted to be absolutely certain that I didn't download any torrents with viruses or trojans. Well, I downloaded a torrent from the pirate bay and even after I downloaded with uTorrent Plus, scanned the downloaded exe file with both AVG premium and Malwarebytes, after trying to run the program, AVG premium announced that I had a trojan (back door).

I went ahead and allowed AVG to remove the trojan, then I deleted the downloaded exe file.

Now what? I thought that using uTorrent Plus I wouldn't have this problem. And, I'm kind of wondering why neither AVG nor Malwarebytes detected the trojan when I did the scan.

Suggestions?

Now what? I thought that using uTorrent Plus I wouldn't have this problem. And, I'm kind of wondering why neither AVG nor Malwarebytes detected the trojan when I did the scan.
It was probably a relatively new infector, many virus creators use P2P as the first method of release for their payload into the 'wild', and some AV providers are well behind the ball in releasing signatures or updates.

Dump AVG and use Avast, AVG doesn't update regularly enough to catch new threats.

Archived