µTorrent downloading huge files I did not add

StevePe

Hi all,

This is the second time this happened:

µTorrent is DLing huge files that I did not add and when I delete them they just show up again a few minutes later. Only way to stop this is to pause the DL...

Two examples:

1) test_file_1 -> 1 GB in size

2) bigbad.txt -> 5 GB in size

"Show in Finder" does not work for these either.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Thanks,

Steve

I've had the same experience, the file names and sizes are the exact same. I'm looking for info on this phenomenon.

Hi all,

This is the second time this happened:

µTorrent is DLing huge files that I did not add and when I delete them they just show up again a few minutes later. Only way to stop this is to pause the DL...

Two examples:

1) test_file_1 -> 1 GB in size

2) bigbad.txt -> 5 GB in size

"Show in Finder" does not work for these either.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Thanks,

Steve

+1 re: bigbad.txt

Some more info -

I couldn't find the file that was being dloaded, in Finder.

The main uloader appeared to be from Russia, i.e. ****.ru

The only torrent that was dloading, other than the obvious bigbad.txt, was Trailer Park Boys (Complete Series).

I'm not entirely sure but the amount of dloading that happened because of this file was not reflected in my quota.

Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Same here its same as before only file is bigger The file location is /Users/xxxx/Library/Application Support/uTorrent/share/bigbad.txt , this directory is hidden. The earlier file test_file_1 was mentioned in this post http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=134724 . This problem appears to be being actively being ignored. Call me paranoid but I think that there is a problem with this build or perhaps there is some form of malware.Perhaps someone who knows more can give an answer or at least acknowledge that there is a problem!

Same here its same as before only file is bigger The file location is /Users/xxxx/Library/Application Support/uTorrent/share/bigbad.txt , this directory is hidden. The earlier file test_file_1 was mentioned in this post http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=134724 . This problem appears to be being actively being ignored. Call me paranoid but I think that there is a problem with this build or perhaps there is some form of malware.Perhaps someone who knows more can give an answer or at least acknowledge that there is a problem!

These are probably files used for testing and someone forgot to disable some test code before releasing the latest version.

Hey bonnie1990 the location is here /Users/xxxx/Library/Application Support/uTorrent/share/bigbad.txt you can find this under the general information tab at the bottom of the utorrent window. where xxxx is the username on your computer. you can use google to find out how to make hidden system files visible. I hope that you find this info useful.

got bigbad,txt here too... WTF? Is this something debug related that got left active in a release? We really need to hear an official answer as at first glance, this of course looks like some sort of hack. Very worrisome!

Someone from the UTorrent team, please comment!

rockett is addressing this issue and said in post #15 that he would get an answer before too long. As it is the weekend I would not expect a response for a couple working days or more. I am just glad at this point that someone is finally running with this ball , metaphorically speaking.

Archived