Torrent Files Obtained from Magnet Links not Deleting

badadjective

Windows 7 x64

uTorrent 3.3 29625

When opening a magnet link, uTorrent will create the torrent file and download the contents. Later, when clicking "Remove and delete torrent + data" the data is deleted as is the torrent from the torrent list in uTorrent, however the torrent file itself remains and is not deleted. This ONLY occurs with torrents obtained from magnet links, and not with downloaded torrent files directly.

I wanted to add, this is the torrent that is automatically saved in "AppData/Roaming/uTorrent" in Windows 7. This is not the torrent file that can voluntarily be set to save in the folder of your choice. This is the torrent file the program uses when it loads.

Are there any thoughts on this? Why would uTorrent not delete those torrents created from magnet links, but will delete those from downloading the torrent directly?

this is the torrent that is automatically saved in "AppData/Roaming/uTorrent"

Do you mean when you didn't define your own .torrent files location ? Because I have it set, and it deleted the .torrent over there.

Andreasvb, you are are correct, same issue. I didn't find this in my search, I should have done my due diligence. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

Am I correct to assume you didn't try it with the latest beta ?... ;)

I'm not a tester or dev so betas and RCs are not within my purview. I'm looking for a stable solution not testing versions. Is this issue even being addressed in the latest beta or RC? Are devs aware of it? I'm happy to report back if the issue continues with the next stable version.

As has been discussed extensively in the 3.3.1 RC thread, I'm experiencing this issue too. I am still experiencing it as recently as this morning using the latest release available to me, Build 29710. My post from the other thread:

Still getting .torrent files not being successfully deleted in 29710. Failed on 3-4 files deleted today, out of about a dozen total deletions. All were in "Finished" status after reaching their seeding goals. All had been active during the current session at some point, because after the last session restart, all files that were in Finished status were deleted at that time. Current session run was in excess of 24 hours.

I had enough to test with "Delete to trash" set to both True and False. With DtT set true, data was placed in the Recycle Bin while .torrent remained in place, and an error like

[2013-05-21 01:50:42]  Warning: Delete to trash failed for D:\!Incomplete Downloads\Torrents\Random.Torrent.File.mkv.1.torrent. Error: 0. Deleting permanently.

was recorded in the log.

With Delete to Trash set false, data file was removed completely, .torrent file remained in place, and no errors were recorded in the log.

A check of the file lock with Unlocker showed that utorrent.exe had the file locked.

----------

Since I posted this in the 3.3.1 RC Announcement post, I have attempted to delete three other files that have reached their seeding goal since that post, and all three have failed to delete the .torrent files. I have also deleted three running torrents that had not reached their seeding goals, and were actually still in the process of downloading. All three of those deleted both the data and the .torrent files successfully.

I believe the issue might be originating during uTorrent startup. It checks for existence all torrent files, and maybe fail to close some, or if you have RSS active - fails to close the auto-downloads from the RSS feeds.

I have confirmed at lease one .torrent file being constantly opened, with read/write permissions but no shared delete permission.

Using: OpenedFilesView

Archived