uTorrent 3.3 (build 29625): WebUI API can cause crash or 400 responses

TheLQ

On the most recent stable uTorrent, certain WebUI actions cause crashes or 400 responses

GUI Crash

Reproducible steps: Submit HTTP POST with the parameters instead of HTTP GET. uTorrent will then crash, asking if you wish to send a crash dump and restart. This happens at least with action=getprops , but probably will happen with all other actions

Expected response: Ideally uTorrent should handle both HTTP POST and HTTP GET (would fix the below problem). However if that is absolutely not an option, it should return a 400 response instead of crashing.

400 Response/WebUI crash

Reproducible steps: Submitting a large tracker list through either the WebUI or my own scripts will give a 400 error response, even though submitting the same tracker list in the GUI works. I'm not sure what the exact limit is, but my current script tried to submit a tracker list with 4616 characters.

Note that if a torrent already has a large list, attempting to modify it in the WebUI causes it continually try to set the 'torrents' property. After a few tries it thinks its not connected to the server at all anymore gives a "WebUI is having trouble connection to uTorrent" error.

Expected response: If uTorrent supports large tracker lists in the GUI then it should in the WebUI. Using HTTP POST would solve the problem of extremely long URLs. uTorrent could also just remove or significantly extend URL size restrictions.

Please let me know if you need any more information

Archived