System freezes after new update

Djaymo

hi all,

new here. I have been using uTorrent for a couple years now with little issue on the same sytem(windows 7 64-bit). get the odd crash here and there of the program itself, but never anything major. But after last weeks update to 3.3.1 that same night while downloading my whole system locked up and had to do forced restart. which when i started up Utorrent again after my reboot, it worked fine and i didnt think anything of it and ive gone a couple days with downloading since without issue.

But this weekend, tonight specifically. I went to go download a torrent and it loaded and started to do its thing, and i left the computer for maybe 10-15 mins and came back and noticed another lock up and had to do another forced restart, but at this point i wasnt sure what the issue was, i thought maybe i was having a hardware problem at first so when i restarted my computer i set up my torrents to download again and figured it would be ok, so again i left my computer to go do a couple house things and came back a few mins later and again my system was locked up, at this point im getting mad because its unusual. So i thought, ok, im going to restart but, im not going to open utorrent so i can see if thats whats causing it. sure enough, i left it just running as normal without utorrent open for around 2 hours and no issue. so i said ok, lets try with utorrent again, but this time i stayed and waited to see and after 10 mins of running,it locked up again, and has everytime i restart and try it. it runs fine for about 10-15 mins and then theres a complete freeze of the whole system so i know utorrent is causing the system to crash. which is weird because ive never had this problem with other versions.

I was just wondering if this is a common issue with the 3.3.1? I hope the next version is more stable and out soon, because its my favorite torrent client. i would hate to have to switch.

i left it just running as normal without utorrent open

The GUI or the dowwnloader system?

and what build? Use help -> about uTorrent.

i left my system running with no Utorrent open at all. program closed. it runs fine and no issues, i can even run vuze and download with no issues. but when Utorrent is open and running since the update after about 10-15 mins, my whole system freezes. i am using 3.3.1(29678). I have never had an issue with Utorrent until now. this just started after the update last week.

If your whole system freezes, it's not because of uTorrent. Best guess is you have a hardware problem. uTorrent stresses your system in a way that makes it crash. You also mentioned odd program crashes here and there. That could be related. uTorrent is very stable in general. Start by checking for overheating and checking your RAM for errors with a tool like memtest86.

If your whole system freezes, it's not because of uTorrent. Best guess is you have a hardware problem. uTorrent stresses your system in a way that makes it crash. You also mentioned odd program crashes here and there. That could be related. uTorrent is very stable in general. Start by checking for overheating and checking your RAM for errors with a tool like memtest86.

it was Utorrent. at first i thought it might be hardware etc, but i tested all, plus i tested having Utorrent running and not running. and it only froze when it was running. and like i said i have never had issues with Utorrent before except the odd crash now and then. i didnt mean other programs. just utorrent. But after seeing and trying what Rafi suggested and run-as-admin, the freezing stopped. its just been with the latest update that ive had issues. ive been using utorrent for a long time and never had a problem. and i seen today there was another update so hope that helps as well, but nevertheless i will always run-as-admin from now on. its just a minor annoyance when trying to download magnetic links.

Maybe properties->compatibility->priv. level->"run as admin" will be good enough?...

I guess that some new File IO operation requires admin priv. They could have taken care of it during install, but still, many just run a local-standalone exe... So, maybe a self-check+save in settings.dat of this when starting uT could have been best.

This sounds very odd. It's very hard for a user-level program to freeze the whole operating system under normal circumstances. I don't know why running it as admin could have helped. If it needed higher level privileges, you should have gotten a prompt or an error message or at least a program crash. Have you checked your hard drive for errors? Malware?

Archived