Seeding slowed issue

Stevel

I have been running 3.2 since August of last year. I noticed the situation that I will describe about one week ago when I added a download to uTorrent. When this torrent is downloading at anything over 100K every active torrent that I am seeding slows to a crawl - 5k or less. If I pause the downloading torrent all seeds return to their configured upload speed - 30K. If I once again start the paused torrent one by one the seeding speed drops. The current situation is as follows: Downloading (1), seeding (15), active (7), total torrents(77). Max up rate (270), Global connections (900), Max connected per torrent (120), max number of torrents (10), upload slots per torrent (6).

If the downloading torrent drops below 100K the seeding torrents all speed up but when the number jumps over that value they slow dramatically one by one drop off.

I have not changed anything on my PC nor my connection. When uTorrent is running it typically is using under 5% of the CPU, this remains constant and I see no abnormal consumption of my resources when the seeding torrents slow. Scans for viruses, malware, etc. are negative. Tests for ISP throttling were negative.

Ideas and thoughts are welcome.

Well, I made a single change and the problem stopped. But, now that adds another dimension to the mystery that perhaps only the programmers can solve. I was going through the six torrents I was seeding and noticed that one of the six was not throttled (max upload rate was set to zero). That was not my intent. I always change the upload limit to 30kb once my ratio as exceeded 1.0. I changed the limit to 30 and all the seeding torrents now are running normally including the one that I placed a limit. Before that single change all fully downloaded torrents that I was seeding would run at 5kb or less including the torrent that had the zero upload limit.

The current situation is as follows: Downloading (1), seeding (15), active (7), total torrents(77). Max up rate (270), Global connections (900), Max connected per torrent (120), max number of torrents (10), upload slots per torrent (6).

What is your u/l rate in speed testing? If lowering a single "unlimited" job to 30k resolves the problem with other seeding jobs, I suspect you should lower the global u/l rate limit. An excessive u/l rate (in combination with higher than necessary (optimal) # of global connections, max per torrent, # of upload slots, etc.) is more pronounced when downloading; so pausing would mitigate to some extent. It also adversely impacts d/l speed. Have you noticed effects on web browsing when seeding slows to 5k?

Try adjusting the global upload rate limit to 80-90% of your max tested speed, adjusting kb/s results into kB/s (÷8) for uTorrent.bandwidth settings.

The current situation is as follows: Downloading (1)' date=' seeding (15), active (7), total torrents(77). Max up rate (270), Global connections (900), Max connected per torrent (120), max number of torrents (10), upload slots per torrent (6).[/quote']

What is your u/l rate in speed testing? If lowering a single "unlimited" job to 30k resolves the problem with other seeding jobs, I suspect you should lower the global u/l rate limit. An excessive u/l rate (in combination with higher than necessary (optimal) # of global connections, max per torrent, # of upload slots, etc.) is more pronounced when downloading; so pausing would mitigate to some extent. It also adversely impacts d/l speed. Have you noticed effects on web browsing when seeding slows to 5k?

Try adjusting the global upload rate limit to 80-90% of your max tested speed, adjusting kb/s results into kB/s (÷8) for uTorrent.bandwidth settings.

My u/l rate on the setup guide is 399.0 kb so the 270 I have it set at should be well within the acceptable range. Web browsing is not effected when the seeding torrents slow down. Please remember that I have been running 3.2 since last August with the settings I listed above. I have 77 total torrents and uTorrent has downloaded them all. Most times I am downloading multiple items and seeding heavier than I was today. But since I have 2/3's of my HDD full with torrents I have slowed my d/l's recently. The issue began around a week ago. I am going to continue investigating on my end. Maybe someone is piggybacking on my wireless. I did not think to check there earlier.

Oh, I should also mention that the one d/l torrent was hitting 600 kb at times. That did not appear to be slowed at all. Dropped to as low as 5kb at other times. I'd guess the average was around 200.

Just looking for ideas.

When this torrent is downloading at anything over 100K every active torrent that I am seeding slows to a crawl - 5k or less.

Does this happen if you do not use any upload limit ?

I did not try removing limits. Are you suggesting removing the global limits, the individual limits I place on each torrent, or both?

Both. I suggest to check if there possibly is an issue with the limiter. I know it was fixed in 3.3.1 .

Anyways - wireless is no way to download... :P

OK. I removed all the limits and my overall upload speed jumped to around 540 kb but two of the torrents are consuming most of the bandwidth. I do want to seed and I want to make certain that all of the seeds get around an equal share.

I am going to place limits on just those two torrents and see what happens.

Archived