Update installed to wrong folder

unknownsoldierx

I have beta version 3.3.1.29638 running as a portable app in a folder on my D: drive. UT just popped up saying there was a new beta version available. I told it to update and it brought up the installer, which I've never seen it do for a portable version before. It then installed 3.3.1.29689 to c:\user\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent.

If I am running uTorrent in portable mode and it offers to update it, why should it make a separate install in appdata? It never done this until now. Previous versions would not bring up the installer. It would offer the update, I'd click OK, and uT would shut down and the portable exe would be replaced by the new version.

The update feature no longer works for a portable version. Now when I am notified of an update, I have to manually download the new exe and replace it myself. That's the bug.

• 2 months later...

Same issue for me, except it's a normal installation, not a portable.

I know that µTorrent should not be installed below "C:\Program Files[ (x86)]" to avoid issues with the UAC. Therefore I already installed it into a separate directory on a different partition. Still, there are sometimes updates which install themselves into %APPDATA%\Roaming\uTorrent even though it is not necessary because the previous installation directory was chosen wisely.

I do not want executables in the AppData branch, they don't belong there. And I find it annoying that I have to fix the start menu links each time an update felt smarter than its user and did not ask back where to be installed.

Exactly, that's why I've complained about it. You should be able to choose where it should be.

If I choose a folder and creating a blank settings.dat like it says and it can write to that folder it should respect that and not randomly pick some other location it deem better.

Fortunately it still works to do it manually, just that it was more convenient before when updating.

Archived