uTorrent opening browser ads

anthonyfleck

Hello,

I wasn't sure if this is a bug or a troubleshooting issue.. The last two days, uTorrent has been opening browser ads. From a fresh reboot of Windows, I'll open uTorrent from the start menu and after it opens, an ad also opens. The ad in question (for today) is located here:

CLICK AT OWN RISK

http://ads.lfstmedia.com/slot/slot66439?ad_size=180x150&adkey=4ca

I am quite positive the URL isn't malicious. However I can't be 100% sure. It's just one of those email letters with a "2" badge on it and says "New Message". I have tried rebooting Windows, reinstalling uTorrent, clearing uTorrents cache/preferences, scanning for viruses/malware.. So! I am mostly curious if anybody else has experienced this. Oh.. I also disabled the ads in the advance section of preferences...

Hopefully somebody has some ideas, because this is getting frustrating! Thanks!

Mine is doing the exact same thing - and driving me mad!! I agree, the ads don't LOOK malicious (though i'm not clicking them to check!), but they happen every time i open utorrent to check progress and then minimise. I've run my anti-virus and anti-spyware etc just in case, with no luck. Hoping someone will have some answers for us!

This is what i get come up... CLICK AT OWN RISK

http://ads.lfstmedia.com/slot/slot66439?ad_size=180x150&adkey=4ca

Oh, and i downloaded from here originally. Haven't tried uninstalling and re-downloading, but will do that now.

They are not malicious but they are Life Street affiliate "hop ads" (affiliate reference is 242378) and do put a "third party cookie" on your machine as it "hops" from the LifeStreet interstitial URL to one of their PPC/PPV paying customers.

So malicious? ... Not really

Deceptive? Very much so!

This was a bug that made it into the alpha version of 3.4. Our dev team has updated the alpha build, you shouldn't be affected by this after updating:

--2013-05-31: Version 3.4 (build 29765)

- Change: suppress ads by default

- Change: update icons

- Fix: UI layout issues

Get the new build here, and let me know if you have any questions or are still seeing any similar behavior in the client.

• 2 weeks later...
This was a bug that made it into the alpha version of 3.4. Our dev team has updated the alpha build, you shouldn't be affected by this after updating:
--2013-05-31: Version 3.4 (build 29765)

- Change: suppress ads by default

- Change: update icons

- Fix: UI layout issues

Get the new build here, and let me know if you have any questions or are still seeing any similar behavior in the client.

Yes, that's the good news, is no more "ads" :D

Bad news :( seems that all the tabs at the screen bottom present empty windows, except for "Speed"

ie: "Files" "Info" "Peers" "Ratings" "Trackers" and "Pieces" contain NO INFORMATION

I installed the 29765 on top of the prior alpha 295nn.

I'd appreciate being able to see this information again.

Thank you!

Archived