this is kind of a complaint

LD0ne

I have been using utorrent for a while. and when i say a while i mean for a long time. I would love to pay for the utorrent pro service. problem is i don't wanna pay for something that is going to bite me in the ass further down the line if for some reason uTorrent gets in trouble. i mean come on your asking for names addresses phone numbers just to pay for the uTorrent pro service. what happens if the shit hits the fan and the governments find you to be guilty for torrent downloading and come down hard on all us users that use it. i'm just concerned about giving all my information to you. its a legitimate concern in this day and age let me tell you. i don't mind giving money to a program that i use but if that program has a chance of getting me screwed over then i will just keep using the free version.

Plus, they can't "get" you on purchasing a Bit Torrent client. This is perfectly legal. Many people use Bit Torrent (P2P) software for business use as well. It's like if you purchased a car, let say from Ford. You decided to run your old boss down with your car, killing him. You take off, and only one person can describe the car as a Ford. Do you think that the police are going to go to Ford and ask for all the records of the people who purchased/rented a car? I don't think so!

NOW, your IP could be monitoring you data usage, and depending who is your IP, they COULD send you a nasty letter telling you to stop using what ever program your using to download/upload data, or they could report you to the authorities. This is something you SHOULD be worrying about, and not about uTorrent taking your personal info. Any ways, if you pay by credit card, the authorities can track you through your credit card company!

What I'm trying to say is, if you want to support a product, then support it by purchasing it! You can purchase any program, and never use it, so your reasoning is flawed. PURCHASE AND SUPPORT UTORRENT!

NOW, your IP could be monitoring you data usage, and depending who is your IP, they COULD send you a nasty letter telling you to stop using what ever program your using to download/upload data, or they could report you to the authorities. This is something you SHOULD be worrying about,

No it's not.

Again, things don't work like that.

its a legitimate concern in this day and age let me tell you. i don't mind giving money to a program that i use but if that program has a chance of getting me screwed over then i will just keep using the free version.

There is a very simple solution:

If you don't want to get 'caught'.... Don't do anything that you could get 'caught' for!

Yes, I agree with ciaobaby!

As far as IP's monitoring your usage, that is very real. My niece's boyfriend, who lives with his parents, and he was downloading via P2P. About a month later, his father received a letter in the mail tell him to stop downloading data from a specific IP address. My niece's boyfriend, stopped and looked into VPN. What ever became of it, is unknown to me.

The IP is C?M?A?T.

On another not, I was reading in the paper (Courier Post, South Jersey) that all the BIG carriers are handing over all American's phone logs to the NSA since 9/11. The title was "Verizon leak gets a mixed reaction-Officials praise NSA program". The article went on saying that there is so much data, they are unable to handle it all. Think of all the money that is going into this, and the US government doesn't have the money to have a balanced budget? Make your own decision. 1984 is now!

As far as IP's monitoring your usage, that is very real. My niece's boyfriend, who lives with his parents, and he was downloading via P2P. About a month later, his father received a letter in the mail tell him to stop downloading data from a specific IP address.

Yeah, NOT done by the internet provider.

They might have forwarded a notice, but they did not, at any time, monitor his activity.

it was a third party company hired by the rights holder of the torrent's data, they did the monitoring, wrote the letter, and then sent it to hte ISP to forward.

All your ISP did was protect your privacy by acting as an anonymous remailer for hte notice. Would you prefer they have handed over your details to the company so they could send the letter direct?

Yeah, NOT done by the internet provider.

They might have forwarded a notice, but they did not, at any time, monitor his activity.

it was a third party company hired by the rights holder of the torrent's data, they did the monitoring, wrote the letter, and then sent it to hte ISP to forward.

All your ISP did was protect your privacy by acting as an anonymous remailer for hte notice. Would you prefer they have handed over your details to the company so they could send the letter direct?

Thank you, I stand corrected! Thank you again, for the links. What most people don't know is that most of the sites aren't in the US, and if you do not intend to distribute what you downloaded, you really haven't broken any US laws, to my understanding of what I read from the link.

Thank you, I stand corrected! Thank you again, for the links. What most people don't know is that most of the sites aren't in the US, and if you do not intend to distribute what you downloaded, you really haven't broken any US laws, to my understanding of what I read from the link.

No.

Where the site is doesn't matter, so much, but where you are.

and the 'intent to distribute' is another red herring.

And I know that's not on that link, because I did all the content on that link.

No.

Where the site is doesn't matter, so much, but where you are.

and the 'intent to distribute' is another red herring.

And I know that's not on that link, because I did all the content on that link.

It doesn't say that EXACTLY, but this is what it does say:

Copyrighted material, on the other hand is legal for anyone to own, but the ability to distribute is based entirely on private contractual arrangements. No-one except those in the position to grant these contractual agreements (the rightsholder) knows if a party is permitted to distribute. Without this knowledge, ISP’s can’t make a determination on blocking.

I do agree with you on this subject, and it's been going on ever since the "common man" was able to purchase PCs (Commodore 64/128, Amiga, Mac, Linus, IBM compatible, Apple iDevices, Androids, etc.) and it will continue as long as "The Powers To Be" stay selfish and want to make $$ off of everything they can get people to pay for! A couple of decades ago, who heard of "buying" water, it's FREE. Now look at the price of water! I wouldn't be surprised, in the future, that they'll start charging for "FRESH Unpolluted" Air!

Archived