Encourage peers to help?

mgincnj

For the last few days I've been downloading a rather large torrent that is going very slowly. There is a single seed and typically 3-8 peers active at any given time. So far I've downloaded only about 20% of it.

I've been studying the peers tab... I assume that the % column tells me the percent of the torrent that each peer currently has. Most of the peers are in the 80%+ range (of course the seed is 100%). Availability of the torrent overall is usually around 1.8.

The seed is slow but steady at about 4 kB/s. Most of the time NONE of the peers are participating. But every once in a while a request goes out and they'll chip in, often at a much higher speed. Rarely more than one at a time, and usually only for a few seconds.

I don't understand why they all aren't chipping-in most of the time, given that pretty much all of them have a higher percentage of the torrent than I do. Is there a way to encourage them to contribute more?

Don't know if it matters but I have been carefully prioritizing certain files. Can't see why it should affect this behavior. Shouldn't a peer, even if it doesn't have my "high" priority files, contribute normal or low priority stuff that it does have?

Anyway, thank you for your patience with my newbie questions.

Look at the "Relevance" column on the peers tab.

If you don't have it, turn it on.

The relevance column is not showing on the peers tab. I'm not able to figure out how to turn it on.

I'm using 1.8.4 for the Mac. There does not seem to be an option for this in the Preferences dialog, nor does there seem to be a context sensitive menu option relevant to the Peers tab.

OOPS. I guess I flunked the test. Right clicking on the column headings revealed a set of options including relevance. Right now I see numbers ranging from 520 for the seed to a low of 31. 4 peers have numbers between 300 and 400. 3 peers less than 100.

lower relevance means lower percentage of the missing pieces from your download that they have.

Right... however right now there are two peers contributing data: one has a relevance score of 31, and the other 144.

Currently there are 3 peers with relevance scores >300 and none is contributing data. Is there any way to encourage those peers with higher scores to help out? Is there something wrong with my client that it's not getting them involved?

It could be that they're busy uploading to others. There are far too many factors to consider.

So, bottom line, there's nothing I can do from my end? My software would seem to be working correctly, and they'll join-in (or not) depending on the other demands on them, their settings, etc.

Archived