utorrent no longer works libssl.so.0.9.8 missing with Debian Sid

Running the latest version of utorrent (utorrent-server-3.0-ubuntu-10.10-27079) on Debian Sid, it fails to start up with the following error:

./utserver: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Debian sid does not come with libssl.so.0.9.8 any longer but only has available libssl.so.1.0.0

• 2 weeks later...
Can you install the older library?

Older library is no longer available in the repositories.

Any body post any tricks about symlinking that version on the forum?

I just attempted to link the older libraries to the new ones and when I tried to load utserver I received the following error message.

./utserver: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: version `OPENSSL_0.9.8' not found (required by ./utserver)

./utserver: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libssl.so.0.9.8: version `OPENSSL_0.9.8' not found (required by ./utserver)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

libssll is available from debports if you happen to be on hppa :)

http://packages.debian.org/sid/libssl0.9.8

Also, the version from Squeeze should be perfectly acceptable for running uTorrent, although that is a bit of a hack. Just download and install, there are no dependencies that you shouldn't already have:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libssl0.9.8

• 1 month later...

I was able to download the source from openssl.org and install the libraries.

If you go this route you don't need to install the whole package, you can make the shared libraries and just copy them into your /lib directory. I believe the steps were:

./config
make
make test
make build_shared
sudo cp *.so.0.9.8 /lib/

I'm not saying this is the only way to build them, but it's what worked for me.

Archived