uTorrent starts to download on Re-Check

Spl4sh3r

Hello! I became member because I wanted to report this annoying bug or whatever you would like to call it.

So here is the scenario in which it happen. I had just made a new account on my computer and removed the old. I didn't think of saving my settings for utorrent so had to do them again and then re-add all my torrents I currently had on my computer because I am nice enough to seed what I have downloaded.

The problem appeared when I decided to re-check all my files on each torrent I added. This is because some of the torrents data were saved to another harddrive and some I didn't even have the data on anymore. I didn't notice anything wrong first, however later I noticed that it said my harddisk drive had 0 bytes free. So some of the torrents started giving the error that it didn't have enough disk space (but why would it require disk space to just re-check files?). Looked around a bit and then I noticed that utorrent had created the folders and some of the files on each of the torrents I didn't have any files for while it was doing the re-checks. This was even though I wasn't downloading anything. Since the first thing I had done when re-added all the torrents was to stop them from downloading.

That is not all either. Once I removed the files that were created all of the torrents that had given the "not enough disk space" error started force downloading files on their own, without any user input to them.

The problem appeared when I decided to re-check all my files on each torrent I added. This is because some of the torrents data were saved to another harddrive and some I didn't even have the data on anymore.
??

If you didn't have the original data, how did you hope to have them seeding again??

The problem appeared when I decided to re-check all my files on each torrent I added. This is because some of the torrents data were saved to another harddrive and some I didn't even have the data on anymore.
??

If you didn't have the original data, how did you hope to have them seeding again??

I didn't say I didn't have the data. I was gonna re-check the torrents for the current download path then change the path on the rest to my other harddrive were the rest of the data was located. Then delete those that I didn't have the data on at all.

It would take to long to do this manually to see if X torrent had data on either location Y or location Z. And utorrent would still have to do the re-check to start seeding.

I didn't say I didn't have the data.

Okay, so

I didn't even have the data on anymore.
doesn't mean what it says then.

If you load a job that autostarts, and the payload data cannot be found in either of the defined download or completed directories AND preallocate is on, the client IS going to recreate the data structure as soon as the job loads.

If you are "just checking", do not start the jobs and turn pre-allocate off.

First I didn't say I didn't have the data on anything, I was refering to some of them. Your quotes are taken out of context.

As for the other thing, I didn't start anything other than those torrents that had finished the re-check with 100% files found so they could start seeding. All other torrents were never activated, just added to utorrent so I could start the re-check. I neither activated pre-allocation in the options.

Okay lets put them back in the context

The end result is that somehow you started the jobs.

I've just loaded some jobs (with and without the payload) to try and recreate the conditions with 3.3.0.29677 and the ones i did load behave correctly, jobs with data checked it and started seeding, jobs without data went into download.

So if this IS going to be a valid "bug report"

You need to state client version and build, operating system, and the EXACT steps to reproduce the unexpected behaviour.

Archived