µTorrent 3.3.2 Stable

DaveUT

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to make it clear: I agree 3.3.2 does have a real memory leak (post #205) , but it is minimal...

And by minimal you mean PC completely freezing on you, not even being able to load a picture if you download ONLY ONE torrent, at a time, that's over 4 GBs, because I'm pretty sure that's not minimal.

I've reported this memory leak problem about 8 months now and and even after all this time nobody can't be arsed to have a look at it and try to fix it. I was expecting more from the BitTorrent Inc. staff, but I guess I was wrong. They took something that worked great and decided to throw it out the window. I'm sorry for my little rant, but I've been using utorrent heavily each day for the past 7 years and now I can't even download one torrent that's over 4 gigs. And before you tell me to try to change my settings, don't bother. I already tried that and then some. Still same memory leak error.

For what's it worth these are my PC specs:

Processor: Intel Pentium E5400 Dual-Core @ 2.7 GHz

RAM: 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz

HDD: 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA

Video card: Sparkle GeForce GT240 1024 MB DDR2

Mainboard: Biostar G41-M7 ver: 6.4

Source: 450W

Not the greatest PC, I know, but I should be able to download a 4 gigs + torrent without having my PC freeze.

Only thing that worked a little bit for me, and by that I mean no more Disk Overloaded 100% error but still computer freezing and memory leaks, is to turn diskio.sparse_files to TRUE.

Figure this stuff out before ppl start giving up on utorrent.

And by minimal you mean

Exactly as the above graph indicates - 4-6M and hour. No other side-effects over here. Yes, with a 9-12G files downloading + my settings, my PC, my Win7 settings/permissions, my sata HD, my A/V , my 100M/2M Internet connection and my Win firewall. Not yours....

No, they probably just don't know to setup the scheduler at the position of their current day&time... try all the squares...

Or: uTP is not speed-limited

Or: local peers are not speed-limited

Do you see "limited by scheduler" on the bottom status bar?

1.5GB of memory wasted minimal

I said, "leak"... What you are seeing is a bug - of breaking the cache limit. Not a "leak". It used to be a "known issue". I am not saying it is gone, for all settings.

Just that as far as I can see, on my PC's "landscape", with my settings & 100M connection & SATA HD, the cache stays within the set limits.

I wouldn't be surprised that the root issue (in cache logic) is still there, just that I think it is rare to non-existence with the above environment.

No... :) There are two bugs...

1) "your" broken cache issue

2) "mine", which is a "real" leak, derived from some GUI related stuff ...

No it is better...

I think 2 - is hopefully being taken care of in 3.4 (revising the GUI) , but 1 - has never been attended to (complexity, rarity? who knows...) . So, unfortunately, your only "hope" is finding a way to bypass/avoid it :( And the only way - is trying to not reach anywhere near the cache-full condition.

your only "hope" is finding a way to bypass/avoid it :( And the only way - is trying to not reach anywhere near the cache-full condition.

The "stable" client should do that, i dont need to find a way to bypass anything, the memory leak is present whether i download or not, we already discussed this! IT has nothing to do with cache (i can enable it or disable it, both read/write, test it for a couple of hours and the leak appears. Many configurations have this problems, u dont have it, because u have a rare combination of hardware/software that utorrent "seems" to like, so the bug does not manifest itself.

The "stable" client should do that, i don't need to find a way to bypass anything.

Yes you do otherwise just roll back, saying it needs to be fixed is not going to magically fix it for you. Let Rafi or whoever pays attention to this thread note down the issue and maybe we might see a fix next year, just let it go.

I recently got a gbit connection. And the troubles began: disk overloaded ( with 100 mbit connection the cache is used, but with the gbit connection it's...), windows ran out of memory, pc freezes etc. I'm using Windows 8.1 x64 and uTorrent 3.3.2 build 30260.I'm starting to hate these memory leaks.

Archived