µTorrent 3.3.2 Stable

DaveUT

So, How long will it pass until utorrent will be able to download @ hi-speeds without messing up the windows caches, and fill the computer ram memory ?.

That's pretty much up to Microsoft, but the problems have been there in varying degrees since Windows NT 3.51 so it probably won't go away any time soon.

If you want to see what Windows is doing with the memory, install RAMMap and you can see the usage on a file by file basis. You might be surprised just how many other things are using memory even when they are not even active (just in case you might be considering using them).

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty much up to Microsoft, but the problems have been there in varying degrees since Windows NT 3.51 so it probably won't go away any time soon.

Oky, i see the point,

But why with another torrent client i am having constant download speed ?

i like utorrent very much for all his other options other clients don't have :)

That's pretty much up to Microsoft' date=' but the problems have been there in varying degrees since Windows NT 3.51 so it probably won't go away any time soon.

.[/quote']

Oky, i see the point,

i like utorrent very much for all his other options other clients don't have :)

LE: Also from time to time utorrent close without any reason or warning, and i have to start it and wait to check the torrents...

LE: Also from time to time utorrent close without any reason or warning, and i have to start it and wait to check the torrents...
What size cache have you set for uTorrent?

Windows caching problems are related to the number of jobs that are active and holding file 'handles' open that "Superfetch" is 'anticipating' as being required to be instantly available.

You can test different settings for a fixed size "swapfile" rather than allowing Windows to manage it automatically (which it rarely gets right), start with it set to 1.5 x RAM as a minimum size and 2 x RAM for the max size (so 4GB RAM would mean 6166MB to 8192MB swap file size (System Properties -> Avanced -> Performance)

ArsTechnica have a article that explains the Windows NT variants memory handling in a not too geeky way.

i like utorrent very much for all his other options other clients don't have

The thing is ... The 'other options' also add to the overhead.

LE: Also from time to time utorrent close without any reason or warning' date=' and i have to start it and wait to check the torrents...[/quote']What size cache have you set for uTorrent?

Windows caching problems are related to the number of jobs that are active and holding file 'handles' open that "Superfetch" is 'anticipating' as being required to be instantly available.

You can test different settings for a fixed size "swapfile" rather than allowing Windows to manage it automatically (which it rarely gets right), start with it set to 1.5 x RAM as a minimum size and 2 x RAM for the max size (so 4GB RAM would mean 6166MB to 8192MB swap file size (System Properties -> Avanced -> Performance)

ArsTechnica have a article that explains the Windows NT variants memory handling in a not too geeky way.

I Have 1000 Mb cache set for utorrent. If i go for 1800 it will freez even faster.

i have 32 Gb of ram, i still need to set the swapfile to 40min -60max GB ?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-andrews-dnsop-rfc6598-rfc6303-03 :)

Add 100.64.0.0/10 prefixes to IPv4 Locally-Served DNS Zones Registry.

draft-andrews-dnsop-rfc6598-rfc6303-03

Abstract

RFC6598 specified that: "Reverse DNS queries for Shared Address Space

addresses [100.64.0.0/10] MUST NOT be forwarded to the global DNS

infrastructure."

This document formally directs IANA to add the associated zones to

the "IPv4 Locally-Served DNS Zones Registry" to prevent such queries

accidently leaking to the global DNS infrastructure.

My ISP gives out such local IP for ADSL to users ........ NAT :(

100.JPG

In utorrent NAT-Traversal works ?

I Have 1000 Mb cache set for utorrent. If i go for 1800 it will freez even faster.

set the cache BELOW 756MB, because as the closer the cache gets to 2GB (1800) the more likely it is that uTorrent WILL crash.

Assuming you are running 64bit Windows with over 8G RAM, start with 1xRAM min - 2.5xRAM max

With 32bit Windows, (which cannot address more than 4GB) and 32GB RAM you should use the extra memory as a "RAM Disk" and set the swapfile to be on that drive. Then the 'virtual' memory is just as fast as the 'real' memory.

• 2 weeks later...

Staggering has it's reason(s) -

1. When you are not sure the exe is stable enough (test it on some percentage first)

2. Avoid loading the auto-updates server

3. You forget to turn it off...

1 - is behind us (for 3.3.2) and 2 (I hope) is not the case... So what is left is 3 ... :P

Also , you can do it *intelligently*, in such a way that manual update requests will always be honored/responded-to, while auto-updates (on start-up ) will be staggered (if needed) . No need to irritate the user.

No need to irritate the user.

Certainly, but it does not "irritate" the majority of users ... because the update staggering is transparent to 99.9% of users, it is only the relatively few users that use Help -> Check for Updates that even notice that updates do not happen right on cue.

No need to irritate even 0.1% of the users when all it needs is one single "if" statement in the code.

+1

Certainly, but it does not "irritate" the majority of users ... because the update staggering is transparent to 99.9% of users...

A problem is a problem...Down-playing a situation is not productive!

LE: Also from time to time utorrent close without any reason or warning' date=' and i have to start it and wait to check the torrents...[/quote']What size cache have you set for uTorrent?

Have you tried to disable write piece immediately? And also activate sequential download, coalesce writes, maybe even increase coalesce size? I have default 50Mbps connection (top uT speed 8.1MB/s), with limit for uT upload and the disk is works fine with 3.2.3. Anything above doesn't obbey to these rules and writes random small blocks causing a lot of mechanical head movement. If you have some RAM you may activate a disk cache (free betas are available), which should balance writes and maybe coalesce neighbor index pieces, causing fewers file system accesses (I hope you have NTFS:o).

I fail to see how or why a system that works as intended is a problem, I realise that it is relatively unusual for that to be the case, but for the overwhelming majority of uTorrent users it is simply NOT an issue.

Obviously it is less than ideal for users who are running Alpha or Beta versions and need to be up to date on the latest build, but the "cutting edge users" are NOT whom the update system is meant to serve, it is the average user, the ones who need the 'pointy', 'clicky' WIMP enviroment of Windows to even type their name into a text file that the update system is for. And only the minuscule percentage that post here with a problem and are asked to update even notice that it does not always update on request.

The rest just continue blithely on and occasionally uTorrent pops a dialogue in front of them that says "A new build of uTorrent is available, N.N.nnnnn would you ..... etc. etc."

I fail to see how or why a system that works as intended is a problem

An update system that hasn't delivered an update that was released almost a month ago?

Now I know 3.3.x is all kinds of screwed up but IDK, I expected more.. I really should stop doing that.

Drip.. drip.. drip.

A problem is a problem...Down-playing a situation is not productive!

Stop being so negative. :P

Seriously though, that's I'm with you here.

Many others tend to accept certain limitations, down play them, put a smiley face on it. Ignoring problems or deluding yourself that don't exist doesn't resolve them.

Archived