uTorrent cannot open torrents correctly in one account, all other ...

aspadistra

uTorrent cannot open torrent objects correctly in one account, all other accounts are fine.

The error is that the file and directory structure of the object are totally forgotten (as if they are not parsed), but the size of the object is parsed correctly.

Yet, when I upgraded uTorrent on other accounts, the problem fixed itself on all accounts except one. The machine has 4 accounts.

This parsing bug happened since "µTorrent Stable (3.3 build 29677)" -- its immediate predecessor unverally failed to parse Torrent file objects correctly. The predecessor bug that affected all accounts, and took until the update of 29677 for the problem to be fixed.

When I upgraded to newer versions, the problem persisted on this system account.

Having that kind of bug persist in one account across version numbers is beyond bizarre -- new code is mostly supposed to be less defective than old code. Yet, the error should not have come from stored configuration information -- as that is not executable binary code as far as I know.

I did fix the problem, by the conventional solution.

// Windows 7 FIX //

// Other OS versions may not have same effect //

I went to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent

1. Backed up the needed torrents, including the beta updates.

2. Erased the whole lot (all uTorrent files, config infos etc...), leaving them in the Trash folder

3. Rebooted.

4. Installed the beta (could have used non-beta, it is a matter of taste for risk)

5. Ran program. Sanity check seems fine.

6. Loaded in troublesome object : 14.4 GB object loaded fine. Deleted Trash folder.

7. Proceeded with re-customizing the settings, minor UI stuff.

8. Shut program down.

9. Ran uTorrent again, and it seems fine.

uTorrent cannot open torrent objects correctly in one account, all other accounts are fine.
So more likely a permissions problem than a uTorrent one.

BitTorrent clients do not "parse file structures", they only deal with blocks of contiguos data that the operating system disc filing system recognises as 'files'.

9. Ran uTorrent again, and it seems fine.

So not a bug then, just an environment issue probably caused by permissions not being set correctly.

Archived