Utorrent reporting incorrect upload and download speeds

mastra90

Weird thing is happening to me. If uTorrent is say uploading 5 torrents at 1 KB/s each and not downloading anything, it says uploads and downloads are much higher than they actually are when I hover my mouse over the icon at the bottom. I've also checked my internet usage and it is way over this month and I have hardly downloaded anything, so I think uTorrent is using internet data that it shouldn't. See screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwrizls0d8yua6i/uT%20SS.png

As you can see, I am uploading at 1.7KB/s and downloads are at 0.8 KB/s but it is reporting uploads are at 27.3 KB/s UP and 19.6 KB/s DOWN on the bottom icon.

Any suggestion on how to fix this annoying problem is appreciated.

Thanks

It might be hard to see in the pic, but i have selected the upload column so that it is ordering all torrents that are uploading at the top. In the pic, you are seeing all of the torrents that have an upload reading at the time of the screenshot. I also have no RSS feeds, or downloads happening at the same time.

Obviously I checked that before posting a thread. It makes no sense for it to do this. If you have any real suggestions, that would be great

Thanks

Ok. No, there is no hidden labels/ other downloads or uploads that are showing. All of the questions you are asking are suggesting that I'm, just downloading or uploading in a another visible area of uTorrent. I am knowledgable in uTorrent and I'm sure that there is configuration problem that I don't know. Please stop asking "are you sure i'm not viewing the wrong tab" kind of questions.

My uTorrent is on another computer and I'm not infront of it right now. I'll check it in a few hours and I'll get back to you. I know I have opened the global limits right up from memory, as I have been getting slow speeds sometimes. Surely that couldn't be the problem though? I configured it manually, but haven't changed a huge amount from the default settings. I'm on 100mbps cable btw if that helps

Thanks

I know I have opened the global limits right up from memory, as I have been getting slow speeds sometimes. Surely that couldn't be the problem though? I configured it manually, but haven't changed a huge amount from the default settings. I'm on 100mbps cable btw if that helps

Wow, 100Mbit UP cable? that's fast....

Yes, if you up your global connections limits, that can be your problem. Where'd you get hte idea that more connections = faster?

Also, I'd love to see the seeds and peers columns as well, can you screenshot us one with those enabled too please?

And give us a speedtest link, AND your settings.

However, based on what you've said, and that screenshot, it looks like the bandwidth you're seeing, is overhead.

Here is my speedtest. It's not 100mbps up, it's 100 down, sorry I didn't clarify. This is speed is a usual speed for my connection, but it can hit 100 mbps at times. Upload speeds sit at about 1.25 - 1.50mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2793083177.png

Full screen shot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t3pgcwlje901f1/Screen%20Shot%202013-06-24%20at%204.11.10%20PM.png

Note the uploads column does not add up to to total upload speed down the bottom, it makes no sense.

See this for settings and global limits

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5tl7jcxmibkeou/Screen%20Shot%202013-06-24%20at%204.17.48%20PM.png

It has been like this for a while and this problem is only recent (last 2 weeks)

Ok I completely uninstalled uTorrent and all settings. I have installed the 3.4 alpha version. Upon opening I still get the same problem, but this time there are no torrents and have never been any torrents in the program yet. See screen shot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1ij94vuvgxd6xf/Screen%20Shot%202013-06-24%20at%205.23.02%20PM.png

I could accept it if it was like 0.1 occasionally but it isn't. I am starting to think it could be an issue on my computer or modem. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Well I'm with a private torrent site that use private trackers and it's by far the best TV show torrent site I've ever seen.
And yet, they have enough evidence because of the ratio tracking that, if they get raided, you get nailed too.
I don't really know what DHT is, all i know is it has something to do with getting info from trackers that aren't there??
Nope. You have it wrong.

Well I'm with a private torrent site that use private trackers and it's by far the best TV show torrent site I've ever seen. It has pretty much any show and the torrents are incredibly fast every time. I'll be staying with private trackers. I don't really know what DHT is, all i know is it has something to do with getting info from trackers that aren't there??

Ok, some BIG misunderstandings there.

torrents can be flagged 'private', that means they only accept peers within their swarm, rather than looking for more peers or other swarms (via DHT/PEX/LPD)

However, sites have taken this to insinuate that by dealing exclusively in 'private' torrents, they are 'private sites'.

The reality couldn't be more different.

Those sites require you to have an account, then to use them you have to log in, and your activity is monitored.

It's the p2p equivilent of 'prove you're not a cop by killing this guy'.

Secondly, speeds have very little to do with trackers. That's about peers. Have a heavily overseeded torrent, or a torrent where many peers are on fast links, and you'll have a fast torrent (the first people on an EZTV torrent experience 'high speeds' too)

The problem comes on the backend, when, as you've noticed, there's no 'upload credit' for you, because every new peer is spread among the really fast seeding peers all trying to get upload credit too.

In case you didn't know, the idea behind those sites that you get at least a '1' ratio, is fantasy.

every bit downloaded is equal to one uploaded (same thing seen from different sides) but there's one person that doesn't have to download - the initial seeder. So there's always one more uploader, than there is downloader. 1:1 for all peers is impossible.

As such 'private trackers' are really a misnomer, 'activity logging tracker', or 'account monitoring site' would be more accurate. And they're usually run by the ignorant, and are where most of the myths come from.

BTW, as far as torrents are concerned, you have a 1.5MBit connection - bittorrent is based on uploaded, your download speed means beans.

Archived