uTorrent really whacked my system

S3riously

Hello. I tried uTorrent for the first time yesterday. I used to do quite a bit of torrenting but went with a UseNet setup. That was a mistake - way too much virii on that one.

The uTorrent install went through but with warnings from my AV. I started the client up and d/l a few files. Seemed to work well. I seeded what I just d/l. But on install, ESET (my anti-malware suite) reported that uTorrent.exe contained a potentially unwanted program. Ignored that because I got the installer from this site. Anyway, after a while I went back to IE and attempted to use the internet. Not happening! Continuous results of "Internet Explorer cannot display....". I killed uTorrent. Went back to IE and it worked fine. Restarted uTorrent and once started, both worked for about an hour, then IE started dying again. I could not navigate even to my homepage. I killed uTorrent but this time IE still won't work. I left uTorrent run over night as I was in the middle of a lengthy d/l.

This morning, the nightly ESET scan again showed uTorrent to contain bad things and had quarantined the whole thing. ESET further said that to clean I needed to reboot. Decided to reboot.

Upon reboot, ESET took uTorrent and pitched it. Shortcuts, install directory, start menu, quick start - all remnants of uTorrent are gone.

So, what went on here? Did I get the installer from the wrong source? I mean, I did get it from this website and it did contain what looked to be a valid UI. Fortunately, the computer still works and I've rescanned with no issues.

Do I abandon using uTorrent?

H

crapware - hmm....

I'd have to install it again to see where the crapware offers come up because honestly, I don't remember seeing any. Funny thing is, ESET took the whole darn thing off and I've never seen it do that - ever. Actually, upon looing back at the logs, it barked at "uTorrent.exe" too and not some side-loaded add-in/toolbar crud..

Have to wonder why the purveyors of uTorrent would permit such crapware to be included in their installs and take advantage of the unwitting. (Money talks...)

H

Archived