Suspect uTorrent Causing Blue Screen (BSOD)

Smoothe055

I had machine that was rock solid for about a year and a half and then began getting BSOD when using utorrent usually when I was away from the PC for a extended period. I began debugging, running memtest, prime, updating all drivers etc and couldn't find the cause other then utorrent was always running when it happened. I actually got so frustrated I got a whole new different PC and guess what, same problem. I used bluescreen view on both machines and it pointed to hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe on both. Specifically hal.dll+12a3b and ntoskrnl.exe+18c443. Those don't tell me much other than it is a hardware complaint. I have ensured all drivers are updated to most current, whql signed. Also I ran memtest overnight with several sucessful passes. No usb devices are attached besides keyboard and mouse. What i have read on forums is to check network driver and disable teredo on IPv6, turn off antivirus. I have tried all of them with no luck. I can use the machine for days on end with no errors when not using uTorrent. I guess I am just wondering if anyone else is or has had this problem with uTorrent and just switched there torrent client. I just find it hard to believe that utorrent is the source but it is the only common denominator for me.

Some things I am going be testing just because I am at loss with what the cause is are:

Power management settings in bios\windows as I know utorrent prevents standby and it seems to happen over periods of being away.

If anyone wants my minidump or driver list, i will be happy to upload it but i am certain it is not going to give you anything to go on.

I used bluescreen view on both machines and it pointed to hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe on both. Specifically hal.dll+12a3b and ntoskrnl.exe+18c443. Those don't tell me much other than it is a hardware complaint.

The full name of hal.dll is the Hardware Abstraction Layer Dynamic Link Library and BSODs involving hal.dll are indicative of a hardware issue (or someting interfering with communication between kernel processes and the hardware).

A bit of research suggest that a 12a3b STOP instruction could be caused by a RAID controller driver, overclocked memory or Avast Internet Security.

Archived