µTorrent 3.3.1 Stable

bigfalls

Up to you. If the new location is fine with you - great. In not copy it to where ever you like...

No need to uninstall anything. Delete the old exe if you like... And you can copy my settings anytime, whenever everything will stop working fine... :P

Was the "do not install" option removed?

I always had utorrent.exe in some folder, without installation to Program Files, and just replace the exe file when a new version is available.

Today I replaced it with v3.3.1 29812 and after starting it the setup wizard run and utorrent.exe it ended up in AppData/....

I uninstalled it and tried again. The (third or so) page in the setup says "Choose Install Location", but there is no location to choose. Just three options:

- Create Start menu entry

- Create Quick Launch icon *

- Create Desktop icon

* (does Quick Launch still exist in Windows 8? Or it means maybe "pin to task bar" ?)

As mentioned, I use Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit.

uTorrent no longer installs in %programsfiles% but in %APPDATA%\uTorrent instead. Since all the settings are stored there it's natural it would go in that folder. Just something to get used to from now on.

I don't use uTorrent shortcuts in quick launch, desktop nor start menu because it's not necessary. When you start a torrent uTorrent opens up anyway but if you need to have a shortcut just pin uTorrent to your taskbar.

Not sure if quick launch still exists in Win8, I never messed around with Win8 enough but I'm sure you can find answers with a quick google search.

I guess you misunderstood. I don't want any of that stuff.

Before I did not install it in %programsfiles% and now I don't want to install in %APPDATA%\uTorrent.

I just want to run if from where it is (somewhere in My Documents/PirateStuff/ ;) ).

My question is: was this possibility removed? Changed? Anything?

My question is: was this possibility removed? Changed? Anything?

My guess: it was changed to presumably allow the client to do silent updates in the future. The theory is that only in appdata they can install w/o being blocked by UAC/ permissions issues.

I guess they didn't think that some people like the freedom to choose the location, regardless of that grand plan... ;)

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I'm seeing a lot of people still using Windows XP.

Beginning April 8th, 2014, Microsoft will stop supporting Windows XP, and you will be at risk to many security threats. No matter how good your antivirus is, if an OS isn't patched regularly, there is a high chance of being affected (and considering the number of users still on xp, hackers will specifically target XP users after Microsoft ends support making you all even more vulnerable).

I'd highly recommend XP users to migrate to Windows 7/8 ASAP! :)

I am using µTorrent Stable (3.3.1 build 29812) on 2 Windoze7 x64 and 2 Windoze XPsp3 x32 computers. I have NONE of the problems listed in this forum thread??? I guess I should complain cause I feel left out.... By the way, the 2 XP systems both show the Icon in the Systray just fine. Also, I wish peeps would quit complaining when the developers try to make some money from this. Even at that, they STILL make it optional. I don't care if I have to click on a dozen optional ads on installing. You can still use it for 100% FREE. What? You want the developers to STARVE and lose µTorrent completely??? Sheesh. Give them a beak why don't ya??? Just my 2 cents worth. I am sick and tired of all the belly achin' over a GREAT program that is, again, FREE, if that is what you want!!!

IMHO

isepiq :cool:

You want the developers to STARVE and lose µTorrent completely??? Sheesh. Give them a beak why don't ya???

I'm sure people wouldn't mind if the company wasn't making a few million annually on utorrent alone and that's not including the Bittorent http://www.bittorrent.com/ revenue.

The devs are far from starving or becoming homeless.

There is a fine line when the almighty $$$ becomes priority and interferes with productivity! When does greed come into play....you tell me!

You want the developers to STARVE and lose µTorrent completely??? Sheesh. Give them a beak why don't ya???

I'm sure people wouldn't mind if the company wasn't making a few million annually on utorrent alone and that's not including the Bittorent http://www.bittorrent.com/ revenue.

The devs are far from starving or becoming homeless.

There is a fine line when the almighty $$$ becomes priority and interferes with productivity! When does greed come into play....you tell me!

I was just making an exaggerated statement about the way come 'belly achers' feel. You still can use the program absolutely free and you can refuse the offers and remove the ads in the UI. It only takes a few seconds to do that. FREE. What don't you get about that? Also, we live in the United States where you are FREE to make as much money as you want if you have the talent or product. That is why I live here. That is what makes America Great. That is why people risk their lives to come here. If they make millions or billions, more power to them. Don't be a cry baby if you have a problem doing the same.

Tray Icon:

I had the program running in the Program Files on 2 XP SP3 x32 'puters and the Tray Icon showed up just fine. After moving the proggy to the Appdata folder, they still show up just fine. Methinks something is rotten in some peoples OS's.

IMHO

isepiq

Tray Icon:

I had the program running in the Program Files on 2 XP SP3 x32 'puters and the Tray Icon showed up just fine. After moving the proggy to the Appdata folder, they still show up just fine. Methinks something is rotten in some peoples OS's.

IMHO

isepiq

I don't think so ))

First of all, this problem occured only after 3.3.1 and 3.4 uTorrent's release for me. There were never any problems with the uTorrent's tray icon before in my OS!

Secondly, I've got the official licensed (not cracked) WIN XP SP3 RUS with all of the official Microsoft's updates to the moment of my post. And thus I don't have any problems with another applications at all!

And last, this problem takes place not only in my system as well, so this makes me to believe what this problem has a deeper and systematic roots. May be a downgrade from 3.4 Alpha to 3.3.1 (29812) affected it, but, who knows...

What don't you get about that?

When $$$ gets to become priority and productivity and development becomes on the backburner then yes there is a problem!

Take a real good look at productivity since the 3.0 builds...Sure there have been minor fixes on each versions but lackadaisical on major issues that in some cases have been around for years!

Don't be a cry baby if you have a problem doing the same.

I assume you are practicing your mind reading talents!

For your information I am pretty sure I can survive in a tent and be satisfied. Oh and if it were legal I would burn the $$$ for heat on those cold winter nights!

Good to have that Freedom of Speech, Huh!

Tianuchka

May be a downgrade from 3.4 Alpha to 3.3.1 (29812) affected it, but, who knows

And there you are. Problem solved.

Beasly

For your information I am pretty sure I can survive in a tent and be satisfied. Oh and if it were legal I would burn the $$$ for heat on those cold winter nights!

Good to have that Freedom of Speech, Huh!

I love camping and backpacking. We sound like kindred spirits. YES, YES, YES! I agree with you 100%. Thank God for Freedom of Speech.

IMHO

isepiq :cool:

Tray Icons: I build, repair, and clean computers of virii all the time. Everyone's computer that I have worked on, or maintain, whether Windows 7 x86, x64, XP SP3 x86 or x64, are ALL showing the µTorrent Tray Icon.

Tray Icons: I build, repair, and clean computers ... ALL showing the µTorrent Tray Icon.

Well, that's nice to know but not very helpful, unless you can provide some clue why the µTorrent tray icon (and ONLY this one of all 'tray-able' programs) does not show up on some systems.

Tray Icons: I build' date=' repair, and clean computers ... ALL showing the µTorrent Tray Icon.[/quote']

Well, that's nice to know but not very helpful, unless you can provide some clue why the µTorrent tray icon (and ONLY this one of all 'tray-able' programs) does not show up on some systems.

I fully agree!

Well' date=' X64 = x86 X2... so who knows... [/quote']

Based on my own experience, X64 is more like the 32 bit X86 x 1.3...

Regards,

64-bit processor architecture is not inherently faster than x86/32-bit architecture. It merely takes advantage of 64-bit registers, which are necessary to address RAM when more than 4GB is present in the system and can also slightly improve large number calculations.

Tray Icons: I build' date=' repair, and clean computers ... ALL showing the µTorrent Tray Icon.[/quote']

I fully agree!

When was the last time you backed up your files, hard formattted your hard drive, and did a CLEAN install of your OS? Every single computer I take care of is showing the tray icon. The tray icon not showing for this program is just a sign that something is wrong with your system. A tip of the iceberg I suspect. Also, have you tried deleting your icon file and restoring it?

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+restore+default+icons+windows&rlz=1C1CHNQ_enUS533US533&oq=how+to+restore+default+icons+windows&aqs=chrome.0.69i57.9230j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

IMHO

isepq :cool:

When was the last time you backed up your files, hard formattted your hard drive, and did a CLEAN install of your OS? Every single computer I take care of is showing the tray icon. The tray icon not showing for this program is just a sign that something is wrong with your system. A tip of the iceberg I suspect. Also, have you tried deleting your icon file and restoring it?

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ … e&ie=UTF-8

Yes, my OS was last CLEAN a year or so ago, and if I make it clear, it will work three, may be five times faster. But in all my 20 years PC experience I've never faced a situation, when a tray icon of any application was invisible. Never at all!!!

And again... If the problem is in my particular system, when why doe's all othe other tons of applications work just fine in my system? May be it's because of what uTorrent devs had changed something in the mechanism of the tray icon visibility lately?

I guess and I'm pretty sure, what there is a certain problem of compatibility with the Win XP OS since the 3.3.1 version of the uTorrent, what is connected to the tray icon. It's not a secret, what many devs all over the world pay less and less attention to the compatibility of their soft with the Win XP OS because of 7's and 8's Win OSes became more popular and WIN XP is coming to its end (((

Archived