µTorrent 1.5.1 beta 466

Firon

Everything is good so far - tho its strange to change the preferences so much - but it does work!

Not so sure about putting the UserInterface under advance - i'm sure network settings are more advanced than that :-P

Otherwise i like it!

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

--- 2006-06-26: Version 1.6 Release Candidate 1 (build 467)

- Change: 'min interval' was misspelled.

- Change: Fixed problem with piece counts sometimes getting wrong.

- Change: If the file cannot be opened, delay a little while and try again.

- Change: Show a message in the logger if the autoload is set to the same as the storage folder.

- Change: Delay firewall opening a little to help problem where utorrent starts faster than the firewall.

- Feature: Standby when torrents complete

- Fix: Auto shutdown on Win98 wasn't working

It could be a coincidence, but based on one data point (ie one torrent), the performance seems to be worse on 467 than 465.

Previously, I would get high download speeds when initially connecting to a torrent with several dozen peers that had been downloading from one slow seeder (since their upload is greater than their download from the one seeder).

With 467, I just connected to such a torrent and the speed seems relatively mediocre.

IF there are internal changes, they may have problems.

OR it could just be the one torrent happens to have a lot of slow uploaders.

I just mention it in case someone else reports the same.

1.6 will be coming out BEFORE the webui (and in fact, the webui functionality is not present in 1.6 RC1. Or well, it's there, you just can't configure it anymore). 1.6.1 will be released when the webui comes out, with the webui functionality re-instated.

In case Ludde is reading this, a huge help would be:

In the right-click menu of the Tray Icon, add "Maximum Number of Active Downloads"

(which is currently buried in the Queueing Preferences)

I am changing this several times a day. There is no pre-programmed setting that works, reality is more complicated than that. Note that other BT clients do have this setting in the right-click icon menu for the same reason that I need it.

I need to change it based on:

- Whether I happen to need a certain torrent As Soon As Possible, in which case the setting needs to be "1".

- Whether one of the torrents is a "weak" torrent with everyone connected already seeding 100 other torrents (such as the site whose name starts with "Demon..."), in which case adding it to the other downloading torrents does not affect them.

- How many of the downloading torrents are "strong" - they could max out my download and thus drown out the other downloading torrents.

These factors are too complicated for any current BT client, and so they have to be managed manually, by changing the queue order and by changing the Maximum Number of Active Downloads setting - which currently requires 3 menu selections just to access the setting.

PS I did not post this in the Feature Suggestion Forums, because people read that Forum only because they have a feature they are desperate to see added, and so they actively post negative comments on all other suggestions, regardless of their merit. So I've given up on that. And, the fact that the feature exists on another major BT client is enough verification that some other users find it valuable.

Thanks for the work you do on utorrent !

1. Why does that even qualify as a reason? If you need a torrent to complete A.S.A.P then you make sure that it's the only active torrent.

2. This is what *Right-Click torrent* > Force Start is for. Use it.

3. This is what *Right-Click torrent* > Properties > General > Bandwidth Settings is for. Set a maximum download rate for individual torrents.

µTorrent shouldn't have to do all the thinking for you.

What a stupid reason not to post in the features forum. I've never seen anyone unncessarily post negative comments about features. :rolleyes:

They don't post quote " This is a bad feature because it takes attention away from what I want. "

They post " I can't imagine ever needing that ".

PS "Force Start" doesn't stop the other downloading torrents, and Bandwidth Settings then has to be undone when the other torrent has finished (and you then want the torrent to use the max available).

Archived