µTorrent 1.5.1 beta 466

Firon

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to yet, there's gonna be some GUI overhauls soon-ish, I'm waiting till then. I'm also considering making a more traditional help file (screenshots of all the dialogs/windows and then explanations of all that) as well.

I got a problem with µTorrent torrents.

I have µTorrent placed at c:\program files\utorrent

And I have another µTorrent placed at a USB HDD F:\programs\utorrent + settings.dat

Ok, readed the µTorrent faq, the µtorrent on F:\ will not interfy with the one on C:\. That's not true, if I start the one at F:\ it have NO torrents anymore. The one on C:\ is untouched.

Why does this happen? I want a µTorrent on F:\ so I can download and upload at school. I want it on my C:\ to download and upload at home. Still if I am home I, sometimes, want to download the downloads at F:\, but I can't cause if I do the torrents will be removed and I'm force to get the torrent again and do a re-check.

Also with 1.5

... Huh? Firstly, you have settings.dat and whatnot in C:\Program Files\uTorrent, right? Secondly, if you start in F:\, and C:\ is untouched, how is what the FAQ's saying not true?

Not sure if this'll help, since I'm not totally understanding you here, but I'll quote here anyway... "Simply copy the entire contents of %AppData%\uTorrent into the same folder as utorrent.exe."

I'm also considering making a more traditional help file (screenshots of all the dialogs/windows and then explanations of all that) as well.

Hey, that's a great idea! I hate it to search all the FAQs and the Forums when I want to know, what a certain function does. You don't need screenshots, as the entries are text. Take WindowsCommander, err, TotalCommander as an example, Ghisler has a very good help file, explainig every entry.

I'm also considering making a more traditional help file (screenshots of all the dialogs/windows and then explanations of all that) as well.

Consider doing it with bookmarks, as a base also for context sensitive help

Eventually you might want to use this for context sensitive help from uT itself. So it might help to use a structured/tagged document (Word/HTML) in such a way the existing tools can assist with easily linking it to the application - later on.

tools like this - can also help - http://sourceforge.net/projects/helpmaker/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/hwMicrosoftHTMLHelpDownloads.asp

Is there a way to block a user ie.IP in 1.5???

I think I could do this in the previous version but once you get used to a new version it's difficult to remember.

I've read all I can in FAQ to try and find the answer, and it pointed me towards 'App Data/ipfilter.dat' but that file does not seem to exist on my PC.

In the previous version I think it was as simple as right click the IP address in the 'peers' list and block.

I have an unauthorised downloader just now and want to prevent it.

thanks for any advice.

........frostyboy........

frostyboy wrote.....

I've read all I can in FAQ to try and find the answer, and it pointed me towards 'App Data/ipfilter.dat' but that file does not seem to exist on my PC.

It relates to the latest beta if the function / ipfilter file exists in this beta and I can't locate it !!!!

... Huh? Firstly, you have settings.dat and whatnot in C:\Program Files\uTorrent, right? Secondly, if you start in F:\, and C:\ is untouched, how is what the FAQ's saying not true?

Not sure if this'll help, since I'm not totally understanding you here, but I'll quote here anyway... "Simply copy the entire contents of %AppData%\uTorrent into the same folder as utorrent.exe."

That didn't really help, but, lool the FAQ says.

How can I use µTorrent on a USB key or other removable drive?

Simply copy settings.dat (located in %AppData%\uTorrent ) to the same folder as uTorrent.exe, and you're done.

So, I have one 'normal' µTorrent at C:\ which uses the settings.dat located in %AppData%\uTorrent. Now I want another µTorrent on my F:\ , which is a removable drive. So I copy the settings.dat and place it in the same directory as the utorrent.exe file.

Ultima, you are right I should also tell I want my torrents seperated. Because F:\ is a removeable drive I can't seed it when it's not connected. That's why I want a utorrent which is for C:\ only and a utorrent for F:\, the removeable drive. Sorry I did not tell.

As long as I execute the exe on F:\ on a pc with no µTorrent it goes fine and the FAQ has right. All torrents is now located in the same direcory as uTorrent.exe and no data is set in %AppData%\uTorrent.

But if there is a utorrent at C:\ it fails. If there is allready a µTorrent on the pc, the settings.dat in F:\ is ignored and all torrents will vanish, leaving me with a fresh new utorrent interface.

I think µTorrent search in %AppData%\uTorrent first, if it can't find any settings.dat it will look in his own directory. That's good if you think most people won't replace the settings.dat. Still it conflicts with a 'installed' utorrent when I execute off a removable drive. I'll suggest an option in the advanced settings the set wether it uses the %AppData%\uTorrent or the settings.dat stored in the same directory as the exe.

I think µTorrent search in %AppData%\uTorrent first, if it can't find any settings.dat it will look in his own directory.

yes that is how it works

That's good if you think most people won't replace the settings.dat. Still it conflicts with a 'installed' utorrent when I execute off a removable drive. I'll suggest an option in the advanced settings the set wether it uses the %AppData%\uTorrent or the settings.dat stored in the same directory as the exe.

then just copy the settings.dat files to ur own c: utorrent folder, and if anyone uses the pc let it use the appdata ones, therefore everything will be separated.

Working real well here. Only nit is that for some reason the anti-standby function still doesn't work for me, so I have to disable the autostandby whenever I'm downloading myself (so my computer doesn't standby when I close the laptop lid). I know these things are particularly tricky, but it'd be nice if one day it worked...

Archived