fiI think I found a simple Solution for Utorrent "overloads"

joshace

I tried everything to fix the overload problems, and I continued to get them. I think this time I found a solution.

I have a LOT of movies I seed, and store them on a 3 Terabyte external drive. That is connected via a USB 3.0 connection. That is fine for seeding files, HOWEVER, it seems that when downloading movies which are trickling in for hours or even days, Utorrent generates an OVERLOAD error if it is not able to WRITE to the drive instantly. To solve this, I now download to a directory on my SSD (solid state drive) which has no moving parts. Once the download is complete, it then automatically moves to the mechanical external USB 3.0 3 terabyte drive.

I'm not sure if a SSD drive is necessary, but downloading to a USB drive seems to be a problem. a cache should fix that problem, but does not. The problem seems to be that the utorrent software is logically sound, but the hardware can't always meet the demands of the program. What would be nice Is if instead of the Utorrent program generating an "Overload Error" and locking up the entire program - requiring the process to be forcibly stopped in the task manager or the computer rebooted.. that the Utorrent program would generate a WARNING and stop.. and automatically start it's processes again after 10 seconds or some other pause. It might also automatically reduce the number of downloads by 1 after each "error warning".

"Normal" users of the software probably never encounter these problems, but I use the full power of Utorrent to both seed and download a tremendous volume of files at a high rate of speed.

It would be nice to get a lifetime "Plus" account for my tips.. thanks. I use Plus now, but it will expire at some point. :D

SSDs are also relatively slow on write cycles.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=738536#p738536

a cache should fix that problem, but does not

A cache can actually exacerbate the problem because it means that more data will be sent to the disc on each write, so the interface has less time to clear the FILO buffer before more data is trying to be stacked on to the end of it.

SSDs are also relatively slow on write cycles.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=738536#p738536

a cache should fix that problem, but does not

A cache can actually exacerbate the problem because it means that more data will be sent to the disc on each write, so the interface has less time to clear the FILO buffer before more data is trying to be stacked on to the end of it.

No, SSDs are extremely fast on everything, far superior to a mechanical drive. However, that cache information is good. Frankly, the utorrent software should take these things into account itself and do what is necessary to keep the program operational instead of having it seize up, requiring the user to reboot the computer or manually end the process in the task manager.

SSDs are extremely fast on everything

Very fast on READ cycles, SSDs are constructed using EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) or EAROM (Electrically Alterable Read Only Memory) chips, which means that a single bit write operation has to erase the cell data before writing the new data to the cell. All of which means more clock cycles. Secondly it is NOT the drive that actually overloads, it is the INTERFACE to the drive which the OS may ALSO be using and sending data to.

Frankly, the utorrent software should take these things into account itself and do what is necessary to keep the program operational instead of having it seize up,

So you are suggesting that uTorrent should ALSO be in control of the running environment.

Archived