Scheduler Timer - Faulty or An Intrusion?

Hi,

I am using the uTorrent for Macs. Under Preferences, I've set the Scheduler to start torrenting from 2am to 8am daily. Previously it used to stop around the time I set (it used to run about 5 to 10 mins beyond the set time), using the time on my laptop as the reference point.

This morning, I observed something very odd - it was working and downloading a couple of active files well past the 8am time limit. It was 8:50am. I shut down uTorrent immediately.

Is this indicative of a fault with the software, or is it a sign of an intrusion? In either case, or perhaps w.r.t. other possible cause(s), appreciate if you can advise and guide me on the fix to this.

Thanks,

Yucca-87-93

Hi,

I'm not sure how to see whether any jobs 'force started'. When the uTorrent ran past its time, I just saw that the download speed of one active file download to be in the range of 60kb/s.

The version of uTorrent installed is 1.8.4.

I took a screen shot of the Scheduler's time settings and saved it as a *.tiff file. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to attach that image here using the img tag. Please guide me here.

Thanks,

Yucca-87-93

Hi DreadWingKnight,

OK, I will check the job status to see if it is forced when I leave the torrent on overnight.

A few more questions came to mind:

- how ELSE, other than the [F] job status, can I see if there is an intrusion or not?

- does the Scheduler run on my laptop's internal clock, or does it follow uTorrent's (US?) clock? I'm in the China/ SIngapore time zone and we do not have daylight saving time considerations here.

Incidentally, I also noticed that some of the recent completed files were added on during times (local) which I did not switch on uTorrent. But this seems to have happened only recently. Previously, it seemed that the times my files were completed and added on coincided with the local time when I left uTorrent on.

- will the uTorrent premium version afford better security protection against these (suspected) intrusions/ hack-ins?

Regards

yucca-87-93

The [F] status is NOTHING AT ALL to do with an 'intrusion'

uTorrent picks up the current time from the system clock when the client starts up, so if the system clock is NOT at 'local' time you can forget any scheduling that needs to coincide with the real world.

So, will the uTorrent premium version afford better security protection?
It's built on exactly the same core code as uTorrent 3+ / BitTorrent 6+ so why would it? The extras in Plus are 'virus' scanning of the payload and codecs for file format conversion.
Do you think what I am seeing are intrusions/ hack-ins?

Most definitely and emphatically NO!

Thanks ciaobaby, I appreciate your responses.

So if those were not intrusions or hack-ins, do you have any idea why uTorrent would run over the time limit set in the Scheduler, other than a [F} status? I didn't set it, or even knew about it, till now.

Thanks again,

yucca-87-93

Archived