Latest Update causes heavy damage to my PC

guruFTW

Hello,

I've been using an old version of uTorrent for a lot of time, it never gave me any kind of problems. For some reason, yesterday, I decided to click "Ok" on the message that asked me to install the new version. Since then, every time I open uTorrent, I hear a ticking sound from my case, then the programs freeze, and after a quick blue screen the pc reboots.

On reboot I need to turn off and then on again the pc, because the main boot is missing.

I had to do two System Recoveries today because my pc wouldn't boot up, where I asked for this problem people even told that the HD was corrupted and had to be replaced.

I'm starting to think that, for some reason, my installed version of uTorrent isn't an official one. Since the last version ads have showed up, and it looks like that's the only difference from this version to my old one.

What's happening?

I hear a ticking sound from my case, then the programs freeze, and after a quick blue screen the pc reboots.

Sounds like unrelated hardware failure to me.

As I said, it happens only after I start uTorrent. My PC has been running perfectly for almost 7 hours after the firsts crashes, and as soon as I opened uTorrent, it happened again.

Bluescreens aren't caused by user-level applications (uTorrent is user-level)

They're caused by kernel-level drivers having trouble (which includes hardware failure and internet security software being stupid)

Use bluescreenview to identify what's actually going on.

uTorrent just causes the freeze up of everything else, that then leads to a blue screen with lots of errors, I don't even exactly know what that could be. I already tried to view the dmp file related to the crash, it just said that a driver was having problems, I uninstalled it but the crashes kept happening after opening uTorrent.

Also, I'm viewing now my latest dmp files from the last crashes, and it looks like there are none. No dmp file has been created for today.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled 3.3.1 of uTorrent, as soon as I open it I have the same problem.

I'm sure it's uTorrent, it can't be anything else.

You're right, sorry, it was the Hard Drive that had some problems, and it crashed every time I tried to download something. The crash was caused by utorrent, but the main problem wasn't uTorrent itself.

Tired to run a scandisk to repair C: and it revealed a lot of corrupted files.

I think it fixed itself, but probably not, if it happens again I'll buy a new HD.

Thank you (:

If it is a Western Digital Caviar drive, change it NOW while the data is still accessible, I have had three fail on me over the past twelve months.

The crash was caused by utorrent,
Nope, uTorrent was the catalyst the made the problem apparent, not the cause of the crash.

If you have the cash laying around, I would invest it in a Western Digital Black drive. I saw them in 4TB size. They go for about $290 USD. It would be a good investment. Stick with the "Black" drives and you should be safe. Just go to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236407

Archived