Insufficient Permissions

tokyojerry

Hi.

I am trying to load a torrent and get the following error dialog:

Don't have enough permissions to write to '/Volumes/XDATA-NAS/DL/Applications'. Please change download location.

I don't understand why. The location is in a shared folder on my NAS and I as the administrator have full access privileges.

The program need those privileges as well, regardless if you're the admin or not.

What username does it say in Activity Monitor for that process?

Check the folder's permissions in its Info (Cmd+I).

For uTorrent, it says user is: Jerry (502)

I am not sure what the (502) means. I know about Cmd+I to set folder permissions. And, usually it works without any problem locally on the MacMini. BUT, the NAS connected to the home LAN (Synology) is where I am trying to specify the Download folder (DL). When I do Cmd+I and try to add myself as admin with RW privileges, repeatedly I get the following dialog .....

Jerry (502) => The name you entered isn’t valid. Please try again.

Jerry => The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission.

Which is a bit crazy because I am the owner of my own LAN. I have full privileges set on my NAS device for that folder. On the MacMini in OS-X (latest Mountain Lion 10.8.4) I am using Cmd+I to give me access to the folder on the NAS, which it repeatedly does not allow me to do per the above error message.

I am out of ideas.

No, it's the user ID (UID), in this case the second user. Not the permissions.

Usually you only see permissions as e.g. rwx.

I believe you use NFS (file system) over SMB on your NAS.

The users are created on your NAS and you login as that user from your OS, not the other way.

I believe you use NFS (file system) over SMB on your NAS.

The users are created on your NAS and you login as that user from your OS, not the other way.

Andreasvb, thanks much for your suggestions. I appreciate the effort.

On the Synology NAS, I have NFS enabled, Mac file service enabled ("You can enable Mac file service to make Synology DiskStation a Mac file server (AFP Server)") as well as Windows file service enabled (Workgroup specified but no WINS specification).

Aside from the inability to download files to the NAS from within uTorrent (i.e., specifying /NAS/share1/DL ) I can perform normal file operations to/from the NAS from machines on the LAN. If I specify MacMini local machine as DL destination, no problem. Only when I specify to NAS for DL, those error messages I previously stated appear.

Yes, I am aware of user creation on the NAS. I do have a same name account ('Jerry') on the NAS as on the MacMini and am logged in as such on both NAS/MacMini. The only thing which is not the same is, the password. I use a different password on each device. Would that have any bearing on the problem?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I will fiddle with it a bit more to see if I 'discover' something in the process. I imagine it must be some setting on the NAS side then that is not allowing me to choose that as the DL destination. So, I will try asking on Synology forums and/or their support center.

I want to specify the NAS in order to centralize download tasks. So, whether at home on the macmini via a downloading via a browser window, or whether I am on the road via my iPhone / iPad / Macbook Air. My iDevices allow me to DL to the NAS but then I am using Synology's iOS-specific apps and not uTorrent (no iOS version) . On the Macbook Air I control the NAS via a browser window.

The user on your NAS doesn't have anything related to your user on OS X, except you've named them the same.

You need to login as the user that you created on your NAS.

When you mount the folder you enter the username and password from the NAS.

Hope that helps, it should. :)

You hit the nail right on the head. Yes it DID help. Thanks very much for the guidance.

Well, it helps sort of. I am able to connect and store downloaded content from my Macbook Air which connects as 'Jerry' to the NAS unit. No problem. But the MacMini is still problematic in trying to do the same. And the reason is obvious per your explanation. I am connected to the NAS as 'admin' on the MacMini and not 'Jerry'. The problem is, in Finder, I repeatedly try to disconnect the 'admin' login so I can relogin as Jerry. However, the system repeatedly REconnects me as admin even though I disconnect. Grrr! computers! Anyway, at least I understand where the problem lies. Again, thanks much for your guidance and patience. Come to Tokyo sometime and have a beer! ;-)

BTW, figured out why I could not shake loose of the admin login. Because I did not close all open shared folders on the NAS first showing up in Finder. Duhh...! Now I can login as Jerry on the NAS from MacMini/Finder. BUT.... still getting this same 'You don't have sufficient privileges...' issue.

• 1 year later...

Hey,

I don't know about all this NAS and etc. from previous chat  but I had the exact same problem, poked around for a while and found an answer:

If torrent (bit torrent, utorrent etc) says "not enough permissions" I did the following (the 3rd step was the key):

1. Check firewall (might need to turn it off)

2. Click 'Repair permissions' on Disk Utilities (not sure if this actually helps, as it didn't fix the problem by itself, but seems legit)

3. The step that fixed it for me: go to the root directory (Macintosh HD) right click and select "Get Info", at the bottom are the permissions, do two things:

First, check that all the names that appear 'make sense'  I deleted some strange account called 'Wheel' that had read only access.

Next and finally, add an account, make it yourself, give yourself read and write permissions and ta da, problem should be solved.  

4. you may need to manually update permissions for subdirectories as well, eg Macintosh HD / Users / ...

This finally worked for me, couldn't find any reasonable answer elsewhere.

gl

Archived