stalled downloads and program usually doesn't exit properly

dtae

Hello,

I've searched the forums without finding a clear solution to these problems. Not sure if they are related or not, but I have two issues:

1. Downloads frequently start at normal speeds, gets about half way or 3/4 done and then slows to a virtual stop. If I exit out of the program and then re-start the download re-starts at zero and then completes without a problem. I'd say it happens with about every other download at this point.

2. The program rarely exits properly. Usually after I close the program I have to go to the task manager and force quit it. I've sometimes waited hours and it still doesn't shut itself down.

I'd hoped that upgrading to the most recent version (3.3.1 build 29938 32 bit) would help, but no. I am running Windows 7 64 bit on a Lenovo T430S laptop. Utorrent program is installed to the primary solid state HD, and downloads go to the secondary standard HD.

Thanks,

Dan

I hadn't, but am now. Too early to tell, but this seems to be helping with the exiting issue I was having.

Do you know if there is a way to assure that the auto-start in windows start is as adminstrator?

Thanks,

Dan

Well, after some more testing with running as administrator, the problem remains. Again, I had two downloads going which had nice high speeds but then stalled. When I closed uTorrent it didn't completely close down (for about 15 minutes that I waited) until I force closed it. On restarting the program the download promptly begin at 0% with fast download speeds.

Any other suggestions on how to resolve the problem?

Thanks,

Dan

I didn't pay attention for the other files I mentioned, but am just downloading another file which did the same thing. Even after stalling, the availability bar is all green and says 37.000. Looking in the info tab after it stalls it shows 0 or 1 of 181 peers connected (20 in swarm). After force quitting and restarting utorrent it quickly gets up to speed again and downloads with the availability working its way up towards 37.000 and finally to 1.000 after the download completes.

Does that answer the question?

Thanks,

Dan

After force quitting and restarting utorrent it quickly gets up to speed again and downloads with the availability working its way up towards 37.000 and finally to 1.000 after the download completes.
That would suggest that your ISP is dynamically blocking the listen port, and when you restart the client it sets a new port (randomize port each start)

So you think the need to force quit the app and the stalled downloads are separate issues then?
They will be connected but probably not directly.

But you need to test if that is the cause by running tests on various ports to see if it occurs after a set period of time.

I just went to look at my settings to try to figure out how to test this further and noticed that I do NOT have "randomize port each start" selected. My listening port is 13488 with UPnP port mapping, NAT-PMP port mapping and Windows Firewall exception all selected. Does this ISP blocking explanation still make sense with me not having the "randomize port each start" selected?

Thanks again for your continued help with this.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the continued help. Port 53 seemed to make so nothing would download at all even on re-start of program. I've since checked "randomize port each start" and things seem to be working better. However, I have a new problem. Very frequently when the download completes it says "flushing to disk" and never stops. If I quite, and force close the program and then restart the download completes and then doesn't have a problem with stalling at "flushing to disk". I think the flushing to disk error might start after resuming from hibernation. I tried making changes to my settings as in this post: http://forum.staging.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=125080

But it did not help.

Thanks,

Dan

I've since checked "randomize port each start" and things seem to be working better.

In that case your ISP IS using 'dynamic' port blocking

However, I have a new problem. Very frequently when the download completes it says "flushing to disk" and never stops.

And the client version and build is??

• 2 weeks later...

The flushing to disk problem is different enough that I was considering posting this as a new thread, but on some searching I found that there are other threads dedicated to this problem already.

Like post#3 at https://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=746780#p746780 I experience:

-Torrent status will stuck at "flushing cache" indefinitely.

-uTorrent does not shut down when the application is closed. (Unrelated to minimizing to taskbar) Application window closes but process continues. Have to use task manager to end uTorrent in order to restart uTorrent.

- After restarting uTorrent, existing torrents download and flush properly.

I think this happens more after I wake from hibernation--but not certain on this yet.

Running 3.3.1 build 30003 32-bit on Windows 7 64 bit

Also seems to be the same/similar issue as reported on: https://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=136874

https://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=113028

I can't find any suggested resolution in any of these threads.

Thanks,

Dan

Archived