Paused Torrents Should Autostart!

Joakim_A

Hi!

In the past my paused torrents used to autostart the next time I launched µTorrent. But now since version 3.3 they no longer autostart, I have to manually restart them. This annoys me. I want them to autostart automatically like they used to.

There appears to be no option for this in the settings either so I am stuck atm.:(

Please bring back the option to autostart all paused torrents please!:D

The BUG that caused the erroneus restarting of paused jobs has been fixed

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=130844

-2013-03-13: Version 3.3 stable (build 29333)

- Fix: Installer hanging while offline

- Fix: Delay in installer

- Fix: Client not starting after update

- Fix: Duplicate device names for android devices

- Fix: Torrent paused state was reset when restarting client

- Fix: PLUS: Post-expiration, playing a file pops up errors

Why do you call them jobs and not Torrents?

Why is autostart of paused torrents considered erroneous? That was the way I and many others were using µTorrent? Also it was the way µTorrent behaved through many versions as far back as I can remember. So now it is suddenly considered a bug?

The default setting for µTorrent is now to autostart with Windows. I presume it is doing that because you want it to start seeding right away. But if paused torrents are not autostarting then nothing will be seeded without user interaction. So what is the point of auto launching µTorrent at Windows start?

I at least want autostart of paused torrents to be added as an option in settings, just like autostart of µTorrent at windows start is a selectable option.

Because 'jobs' are what they are, "Torrent" is simply a shortened form of the protocol name, and refers to the payload. So once the metadata is loaded into a client each item in the list is an individual job.

Why is autostart of paused torrents considered erroneous? That was the way I and many others were using µTorrent? Also it was the way µTorrent behaved through many versions as far back as I can remember. So now it is suddenly considered a bug?
That was the way I and many others were using µTorrent?

Which, had anyone bothered to find out why happened they would have FOUND OUT that it was NOT supposed to.

It was always a fault in the way uTorrent behaved. No client should reset the status of a loaded job just because it has restarted. I feel sure that you soon be complaining if it happened because of of a system crash and they jobs where paused for a reason prior to the incident.

So what is the point of auto launching µTorrent at Windows start?
So jobs will restart in the status that the user has set them.
The default setting for µTorrent is now to autostart with Windows.
Which you can change during the installation process.

Because 'jobs' are what they are' date=' "Torrent" is simply a shortened form of the protocol name, and refers to the payload. So once the metadata is loaded into a client each item in the list is an individual job.

That was the way I and many others were using µTorrent?

Which, had anyone bothered to find out why happened they would have FOUND OUT that it was NOT supposed to.

It was always a fault in the way uTorrent behaved. No client should reset the status of a loaded job just because it has restarted. I feel sure that you soon be complaining if it happened because of of a system crash and they jobs where paused for a reason prior to the incident.

So what is the point of auto launching µTorrent at Windows start?
So jobs will restart in the status that the user has set them.
The default setting for µTorrent is now to autostart with Windows.
Which you can change during the installation process.

So basically the only way to get torrents autostart when you launch µTorrent is to just leave them in a seeded state prior to quitting µTorrent? That way the next time you launch µTorrent the torrents will begin seeding right away?

But this is considered a bad behaviour by private trackers. Because you will not send the quit message prior to shutting down the client so you will still be listed as a seeder for a while after you left and also you will lose some data not being reported to the tracker and that is bad on ratio controlled trackers. On a fast connection running hundreds of torrents/jobs even a few minutes of missing data towards the end could mean several GB of lost data that was not reported to the tracker and that is no fun. I was taught to always properly quit or pause torrents before shutting down my client. But the way it is now, µTorrent actually encourages bad tracker behaviour by making the users prefer to incorrectly just quit the client and not stopping the torrents properly.

Is there no option in the advanced settings that could bring back the function of resetting paused torrents? I certainly would want that function back available as an option in settings!

I never pause a torrent, nor stop before exiting.

Also, future versions will not have the pause-button in the toolbar.

I've seeded TBs on private trackers.

But then again, I just leave it on. :)

Transferred last 31 days: 290 GB

Total Uploaded: 88.9 TB

Total Downloaded: 5.37 TB

Total Ratio: 16.563

Total Running Time: 54051:28:23

Number of torrents added: 7035

Program launched: 3555 times

But this is considered a bad behaviour by private trackers. Because you will not send the quit message prior to shutting down the client so you will still be listed as a seeder for a while after you left and also you will lose some data not being reported to the tracker and that is bad on ratio controlled trackers. On a fast connection running hundreds of torrents/jobs even a few minutes of missing data towards the end could mean several GB of lost data that was not reported to the tracker and that is no fun. I was taught to always properly quit or pause torrents before shutting down my client. But the way it is now, µTorrent actually encourages bad tracker behaviour by making the users prefer to incorrectly just quit the client and not stopping the torrents properly

In that case, if you ARE using a private tracker that enforces Draconian rules such as that, YOU are the one who should set up YOUR OWN 'best practice regime' for client shut down, rather than expecting any particular BitTorrent client that has to cater to untold thousands of different user environments to 'know' what your particular needs are.

I believe as far as Joakim is concerned, that would be an "undocumented feature."

But this is considered a bad behaviour by private trackers. Because you will not send the quit message prior to shutting down the client so you will still be listed as a seeder for a while after you left and also you will lose some data not being reported to the tracker and that is bad on ratio controlled trackers. On a fast connection running hundreds of torrents/jobs even a few minutes of missing data towards the end could mean several GB of lost data that was not reported to the tracker and that is no fun. I was taught to always properly quit or pause torrents before shutting down my client. But the way it is now, µTorrent actually encourages bad tracker behaviour by making the users prefer to incorrectly just quit the client and not stopping the torrents properly.

Oh boy..

First of all, don't call them private trackers, they're not 'private' in any way shape form or fashion. While they could be 'private torrent trackers' because of the use of 'private torrents', a more accurate term is 'activity logging tracker', because that's what they do.

Second, it might be some time since I last read the spec (been busy with other stuff) but last I remember, pause doens't send the quit either. It just stops responding/requesting. Unlike a stop, or a graceful shutdown.

The only way you get any sort of update when it's paused is during the regularly scheduled tracker announces (which continue as before), and then when it goes into stop mode after the 3rd consecutive announce while paused.

So, to recap, the very reason you want this, and your mystical (more like moronic) tracker admins say you should do this, is because of something that DOES NOT ACTUALLY HAPPEN. I bet you feel a fool now, right?

Pausing doesn't announce. In fact there's a good bit about announces and whatnot on this thread, from 2008. There too people were panicking about 'losing ratio' on hopelessly-run logging-trackers, and confused about pausing and stopping etc.

You also say it's done that for ages? I know it never used to, was never supposed to.

Sort answer though, any tracker which considers this 'bad behaviour', is one you should get the hell away from. If they've got these basics of bittorrent wrong (or have badly F***ed up the setup of their tracker, how much else is wrong?

Archived