Port Forwarding Not Working: Port Is Closed or Not reachable

RoyM

Yesterday I installed u/Torrent 3.3 on Windows XP, Service Pack 3 after I could not get port forwarding to work. I am using a new Trendnet TEW-731BR router. I know the settings on the router are correct as I had just gotten off the phone with a technician from Trendnet who walked me through the process. Have had no problems getting port forwarding to work with u/Torrent and TrendNet modems in the past. Perhaps I've overlooked something in the u/Torrent settings.

Whenever I run the Setup Guide, it tells me that the port (58145) is not open. PFPortchecker gives me a very similar message ("Port is not open or not reachable"). I tried disabling the firewall and making an exception for u/Torrent and the port mentioned but it didn't make any difference. There is no history of ISP blocking traffic. In spite of the port not being open I did get the green checkmark and a constant download speed of 16 Mbps. I can post some of my u/Torrent settings here if anyone thinks they may be an issue. A couple that I wasn't sure about were the UPnP port mapping and NAT-PMP port mapping. Should I have both of those enabled? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Whenever I run the Setup Guide,
Each time you run the SetupGuide it will change the listen port used by uTorrent.
A couple that I wasn't sure about were the UPnP port mapping and NAT-PMP port mapping. Should I have both of those enabled?
If your router supports either or both ... Yes.
In spite of the port not being open I did get the green checkmark and a constant download speed of 16 Mbps.
The listening port does not affect downloading, only uploading and receiving DHT and tracker incoming messages.
PFPortchecker gives me a very similar message ("Port is not open or not reachable")
Then it is very likely that your ISP IS blocking that port.

Hi Ciaobaby,

Thanks for responding to my post. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that port was only used for listening. If you list a given port in u/Torrent preferences, I thought it always used that port so as to avoid firewall problems. If I understand you correctly, it looks like I'm getting as good results as I can expect. So what is the advantage of having the port open?

uTorrent can receive incoming messages from such as:

peers wanting to download pieces.

peers sending 'unchoke' messages etc.

DHT updating peer data.

and everything that requires your client to be receiving instructions.

AND ALL of that information AND MORE IS in the User Manual under the heading of

[h]Why Being Firewalled is Bad[/h]

The essence of requiring a listening port open and available, is so the the device or application, no matter what it's purpose or requirement, can receive communications that are directed to it.

Would you like me to write a treatise on networking? Including the difference between unicast and multicast, along with network address translation and routing of course.

Or should we leave it at; A forwarded port is needed to direct incoming requests to the appropriate network node?

Archived