Need help with speed problems

JerzuExpat

Hi all,

My Utorrent was working fine up until a few weeks ago, I am not sure what changed, but all of a sudden it has become dramatically slower, with maximum speeds of around 25kb/s, where it used to be around 100mb/s.

I am unable to open a port because I am in te country and have to use a satellite ISP (Opensky TOOWAY) and I understand they do not allow port forwarding, however this has never been an issue in the past getting relatively high download speeds.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why this has suddenly happened and what I can do about it?

P.S. I do not think this is down to Utorrent settings as I have tried downloading another torrent client and am getting slow speeds there too, so I am assuming it may be something to do with internet settings or something else going on, but I am not techie, so am open to suggestions.

Firewall exceptions are installed, have been uninstalled and re-installed.

I cannot select the correct upload speed because the speed test is not working, I have no idea what my upload speed is so I have set it to 2mb/s.

Restarted modems and computer

Protocol Encryption enabled

bt.transp_disposition; tried 31, 26 and 21 - now at 31

disabled bt.tcp_rate_control

Enabled NAT-PMP port mapping

peer.lazy_bitfield is enabled

Disabled DHT

Settings:

Connection: tried enable/disable UPnP & Nat pmp port mapping

Bandwidth: tried different setting here, but none worked, now set to Max upload 20, Max connections 80, max peers per torrent 24, max upload slots 4.

BT.connect.speed 4

bt.tcp_rate_control disabled

peer.lazy_bitfield enabled

My status icon is green

I am unable to open a port or port forward because I use a satelite isp

Whenever I run setup Guide the speed test fails, regardeless of which server I select

Current settings Unlimited

net.max_halfopen 4 , changed down from 8 today with no effect

Portcecker says closed; not able to open port due to satellite isp

Glasnost Test Result:

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your downloads.

Operating system Windows XP SP3

Security AVG free version

Router Tooway ViasatRMA100

Modem Wireless Belkin F5D8236-4 v3

ISP Opensky Tooway

Speed test fails every time

Wireless router on satellite connection

but your link leads nowhere.
Now fixed
Also I have read all the FAQs and tried all the suggestions as stated on the page about speed issues

In that case, you WILL know what information to provide, and has you have missed off THE most important bits, .....

Firewall exceptions are installed, have been uninstalled and re-installed.

I cannot select the correct upload speed because the speed test is not working, I have no idea what my upload speed is so I have set it to 2mb/s.

Restarted modems and computer

Protocol Encryption enabled

bt.transp_disposition; tried 31, 26, 5 and 21 - now at 31

disabled bt.tcp_rate_control

Enabled NAT-PMP port mapping

peer.lazy_bitfield is enabled

Disabled DHT

Settings:

Connection: tried enable/disable UPnP & Nat pmp port mapping

Bandwidth: tried different setting here, but none worked, now set to Max upload 20, Max connections 80, max peers per torrent 24, max upload slots 4.

BT.connect.speed 4

bt.tcp_rate_control disabled

peer.lazy_bitfield enabled

My status icon is green

I am unable to open a port or port forward because I use a satelite isp

Whenever I run setup Guide the speed test fails, regardeless of which server I select

Current settings Unlimited

net.max_halfopen 4 , changed down from 8 today with no effect

Portcecker says closed; not able to open port due to satellite isp

Glasnost Test Result:

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your downloads.

Operating system Windows XP SP3

Security AVG free version

Router Tooway ViasatRMA100

Modem Wireless Belkin F5D8236-4 v3

ISP Opensky Tooway

Speed test fails every time

Wireless router on satellite connection

If I have missed any settings that you need please let me know which ones; it is very hard to understand for people who are not tech minded and switching from one screen to find what is needed, to another to find the info, then another to type the info and back again, it is easy to miss something. I am trying here...please try to help me.

I really think you're attitude is unnecessary, and rude. I did ask nicely and explain that I am not techie and asked for help, I don't really think the sarcasm is necessary.

The version and build is 3.3.1 build 29988 32 bit) if there is anyone on this forum that can be helpful without the attitude and sarcasm I would really aprreciate some help, if not, I'll just use a different client and ask someone who has some common courtesy for help instead.

Good evening all and thank you for anyone who cares to respond.

If you READ the forum rules you WILL FIND that only current versions ARE SUPPORTED. so unless you provide that and it is current your questions will remain unanswered until you do.

I become patronising (and/or sarcastic) when people start behaving like petulent children, because it appears to be the ONLY way to illicit a response that actually provides the information requested or is needed. The solution to that is in YOUR control, there are more than enough threads where the same information is requested time and time again, so if you actually take notice when you are reading the "several threads" it can hardly go unnoticed. For the majority of members who do respond to questions our time here is given freely, so time and effort wasted in having to go through a series of questions just to get the basic information is somewhat testing on ones patience.

then another to type the info and back again, it is easy to miss something.
By the way, the answer to that is, ... use a writing implement and paper.

So now that it is established that you are running a current version, kindly provide some screenshots of seed, peer and swarm counts (located at the top right corner of 'Transfer' on the 'info' tab.

The status of DHT (on the status bar)

and status of trackers for some of the 'slow' jobs.

I am sorry that you feel frustrated and feel you have to behave this way towards people, I am sad for you and hope that one day you will find some peace within yourself and the ability to understand that your words are hurtful to others and if you cannot be kind, it's best not to speak at all.

I DO think that if people frustrate you because you offer your time without fiscal payment and you have to go over the same things over and over and people do not provide you with the information straight away, maybe it would be better if you did not respond at all. I do NOT agree that you offer your time freely; freely would suggest that there is no cost to the other person, but the cost is having to be verbally abused by your sarcasm and rudeness.

Life is to short to be abused unnecessarily, I have had enough of that in my life and will no longer accept it from anyone, least of all you. As a result I will just uninstall the program and use another.

I am sad for you and hope that one day you will find some peace within yourself and the ability to understand that your words are hurtful to others and if you cannot be kind, it's best not to speak at all.

Why?? I don't know you, you don't know me, neither of us has any impact on the other's life and I am perfectly "at peace with myself". Maybe that's why I know the difference between real "friends" and some unknown 'person' on a website who will have absolutely no consequences towards anything other than a brief instance of interaction.

Archived