Utiorrent Downloading files I tell it to NOT download

Mortimer

U torrent has proved TOTALY TROUBLESOME since I looked at the add in the sidebaqr..I am sure it had scumware in it as since then torrenthas been erratic, slow and often NOT RESPONDING. I do not use this Laptop for any other use but torrents..SO can I reinstall torrent 331 29963 and its crashed again !over the existing 331 on a HP 650 cpu B830 1.8G, 2G ram.

I am also having the same problem (using version 3.3 build 29625). The most recent example was a movie pack from which I wanted one of 8 movies downloaded. After finishing the download, the operating system (Vista) reported 5 of the movies had been downloaded rather than just the one I had marked for download. In utorrent's file list, the 4 unwanted files were marked as DO NOT DOWNLOAD and yet the disk space for those 4 files was gone from my hard drive and the files clearly displayed in Explorer. I did not try to run the 4 movies so I cannot confirm that the contents were actually downloaded BUT I can confirm that diskspace was allocated and files were created . . . against my wishes and actions.

BUT I can confirm that diskspace was allocated
Turn pre-allocate off
In utorrent's file list, the 4 unwanted files were marked as DO NOT DOWNLOAD

Search the forum for 'cross file pieces'.

OR

From the uTorrent User Manual (Available by pressing F1)

[h]Why does µTorrent create or download parts of files I set to "Don't Download?"[/h]

This occurs because BitTorrent has no concept of files, only pieces. Because multiple files can share the same piece, and µTorrent has to download an entire piece to check its hash, it will effectively download data for another file (regardless of whether it was skipped). There is nothing you can do about µTorrent downloading data for another file if the data is a part of a piece that also belongs to another file that you do want downloaded. What you can do is prevent the entire skipped file from being allocated by enabling diskio.use_partfile.

And how big exactly are the files you're choosing not to download?

Around 300b usually saying this file has been downloaded from blah blah. I neither care where the file has been DL'd from nor want the stupid file to DL at all. I tell uTorrent EVERY time to NOT dl that file but it puts it on my drive anyway. :mad:

As far as the size it should make no difference if it 1b or 1 gb If the user tells the software to NOT do something then that wish should be carried out.

Archived