downloaded bytes are shown wrongly and restored with a force re-check!

relation

1. I have some big files partially downloaded.

2. I schedule utorrent to download the rest of files in step 1 in a period of time (for example from 6 to 9 am).

3. Then I use windows Task Scheduler to quit utorrent at the end of that period and shutdown the computer. (using commads: "taskkill /im utorrent.exe" and "shutdown /s /t 60")

4. Later after starting the computer and running utorrent I see that the "downloaded bytes" or percentage shown under "status" has been reverted to the status in step 1.

5. Then I try to "Force Re-Check" the torrents and I find out that they are completed and have a "finished" status.

6. Even then testing the claimed fully downloaded files (in step 5) there are no data corruptions and everything works fine!

It has happened several times: and if I am not wrong it is since I have begun using the taskkill besides shutdown with a 60 seconds grace period, as said in step 3, (in order for utorrent not to Force Re-Check because of an abrupt shutdown.)

What kind of weird bug is this?

Actually I am not forcing utorrent to exit!

taskkill without the parameter /f simply sends the exit command to the program specified with /im parameter.

you could easily get the difference doing the following experiment:

1. Run notepad.exe

2. type some letter: abcd...

3. try "taskkill /im notepad.exe" in a command shell.

4. you see the message box just asking to save the data as if you had exited ordinarily through File>Exit or the X button.

5. however using "taskkill /f /im notepad.exe" quits notepad without any attempt on saving any current data!

And as I said before: utorrent does not lose or corrupt any data, it just wrongfully miscalculates currently downloaded bytes that is fixed after a Force Re-Check.

So I think that it is some sort of a bug, though if not so weird! ;)

I said before: utorrent does not lose or corrupt any data, it just wrongfully miscalculates currently downloaded bytes that is fixed after a Force Re-Check.

Nope. What it does is does abandon any data in the cache and flag the torrent as 'dirty', as the '/f' switch for taskkill is a FORCE close.

Notepad runs in different context to BitTorrent because it has a 'document interface', which WILL halt a closedown event.

uTorrent runs in a System tray context WITHOUT a document interface, so it does not prompt for a document in an 'unsaved' state as it has no document open, and is simply force closed WITHOUT flushing any data from the cache OR stopping any inprocess downloading pieces.

uTorrent runs in a System tray context WITHOUT a document interface, so it does not prompt for a document in an 'unsaved' state as it has no document open, and is simply force closed WITHOUT flushing any data from the cache OR stopping any inprocess downloading pieces.

I have disabled "Close button closes uT to tray" in UI Settings for the sake of actually quitting the program when the Exit command is sent to uTorrent. So there should be no difference between a manual pressing of an Exit button or an exit signal sent through a shell command.

What it does is does abandon any data in the cache and flag the torrent as 'dirty'

and if it loses the cached data and flags the torrent as 'dirty' (what happened formerly when I used the shutdown command without taskkill) it should automatically Force Re-Check the torrent. However it neither checks it nor properly finds out the downloaded percentage after the next run!

So I assume that there should be some partial bug for quitting through a command shell that makes uTorrent believe the torrent is not dirty (as truly it is since no cache is lost) but the part for recognizing the downloaded percentage somehow is lost and reverted to the time last quitted using User Interface.

Archived