How to seed an existing torrent if I have the files in my pc?

camilou

Hello people.

I had a torrent that I had downloaded some files from (not all of them). I had to reinstall my operating system and now I want to seed those files again. What's the right way to do this?

I assumed I just had to download the torrent file again, open it with uTorrent and then tell it to save the files in the same folder...however that only caused the files to start being downloaded again. I checked one of the files inside the torrent that i knew was already in the folder, but it started downloading again, even though I have the file in the folder and it had finished downloading before.

So, tell me please how to do this. I don't want to download all the files again because the download speed was terrible, I just want to be able to seed them.

Thank you very much.

I'm on uTorrent 3.2 on Windows 7. And also I download the torrent from a Magnet link, in case that matters.

As we have explained the fifty or so previous times this has been asked.

Read the migration guide. It is in the user manual AND available by clicking on Help -> Videos & Guides at the top of EVERY page on this website.

Yeah well that doesn't help. I've done what it says there, click the magnet link, select the file from the list of files inside the torrent, select the location, hit "Ok" and it just starts downloading the file again.

If I use a .torrent file instead of a magnet link, the torrents says "Checking" but it stops at 2.0%

Does the "Name" of the torrent have to match the name of the folder? If all the files are into a folder called "psx-roms", do I have to name the torrent "psx-roms" and save it to the folder one level up the "psx-roms" directory?

Example: G:\Games\psx-roms is where the files are

Do I need to tell Utorrent to save the torrent to "G:\Games" under the name psx-roms to automatically access the "G:\Games\psx-roms" folder? Or directly into "G:\Games\psx-roms"? There doesn't seem to be any folders inside the torrent so I always used "G:\Games\psx-roms"

Or maybe i should check "skip hash check"?

Well I tried relocating the one file, choosing inside of the "G:\games\psx-roms" folder because that's where the files were stored. It didn't work.

Then i tried relocating the whole torrent, right click on top>advanced>set download location>parent folder (G:\games) and it still showed "downloading"

In both cases the "Force re-check" option was disabled.

So I went to see if replacing the file I was downloading with a copy I had made beforehand would prompt the re-check to be activated, but now I open the G:\games\psx-roms folder and all the files are gone.

I specifically remember telling uTorrent every time to "Remove" torrent, not "Remove and delete torrent+data"

Now it seems i'm going to have to download all the files again anyway, which totally blows.

Well I still had a copy of one of the files so I continued trying to get the thing to work just so I could learn how to do it properly, but as I said before, clicking the .torrent file and adding it just causes the whole thing to stop at "Checking..." at whatever percent. This time at 37.2%. Does the check require some information from the Internet that it can't get because there are no seeds, or something like that? Any reason why this stopped at 37% and hasn't moved in 20 minutes?

o7tECeC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/o7tECeC.jpg

In both cases the "Force re-check" option was disabled.
You have to stop the job before a re-check will run.

Did you load the jobs in a stopped state and recheck before starting them?

Now it seems i'm going to have to download all the files again anyway, which totally blows.
What about the backup you made before attempting ANY of this??

Well we are talking about something between 30 and 40 GB of files here, so I didn't make a backup of the whole thing. I never expected it was going to be more difficult than double clicking the torrent, choosing the location and pressing Ok.

I've been trying with the single file that I had made a copy of, and even if I don't start the torrent right away, and while it's paused click "Force re-check", it does the same, stops at 37.2%. I'm totally baffled.

Is it possible that the check doesn't finish if there are no seeds/peers? This is not a very popular torrent (that's why I wanted to seed it) and there don't seem to be peers at the moment.

I never expected it was going to be more difficult than double clicking the torrent, choosing the location and pressing Ok.
It is. ..... The second or third time you do it.
Is it possible that the check doesn't finish if there are no seeds/peers?
The re-check only checks what you have downloaded.
Well we are talking about something between 30 and 40 GB of files here, so I didn't make a backup of the whole thing. I never expected it was going to be more difficult than double clicking the torrent, choosing the location and pressing Ok.
Whenever you are dealing with computers and data ALWAYS make a backup no matter how big or small it is, and like gambling, never test with something you can't afford to lose.

The re-check only checks what you have downloaded.

Then...how do you explain that it's stuck at 37.2%? I just want to understand this behavior, I use uTorrent all the time and I want to know how to fix this problem in case it happens again in the future.

Here's again what I do:

1. Take the file I have in my disk, put it in the folder.

2. Open the .torrent file, select only the file in the torrent list that corresponds to the one I have locally, then the folder, then uncheck the "Start torrent immediately" box and press "ok"

3. the torrent is added to the list, I right click and "Force re-check"

4. [del]The torrent says "Checking" but it gets stuck at 37.2%[/del]

Actually, after an hour of "checking", I went back only to find that the file is being downloaded again! Or is it downloading some meta-information about the torrent? I'm really confused at this point!

RjyDxrJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RjyDxrJ.jpg

It takes me into the folder where the single files are located, that is "G:\Games\psx\psx-roms". Which is precisely the place where I had put the files.

I stopped the torrent, deleted the file that was being downloaded, replaced it with the original file, and right clicked "Force re-check". If this works I'll try doing the same with the rest of the files.

Speaking of which, I didn't lose the files, turns out that the torrent moved the files to a different directory and I hadn't noticed.

Oh it's finished checking, and no the file is not shown as 100% downloaded. So even if it is the file, and it is a working file (just tried unzipping it and it works perfectly) uTorrent still decides to download it again. Could it be that the torrent has a different hash? Is uTorrent storing some local information that's causing the file to get downloaded again?

Well the thing is I don't really know if it's the same torrent. It seems to be the only version, I've checked different trackers and there's only one that contains that many files, it's over 300GB. And from the files I have in my hard disk, the ones that I've checked seem to have the same names and the same sizes. So I'd say they're the same torrent, although it could be a different version, but as I said I haven't found more than one of this type. Edit: I found the old .torrent file for the previous time I downloaded these files and when I try adding it, utorrent says that it is already on the list, so with 99% certainty, this is the same torrent.

Here's a picture of the folder btw, the one I see when I click "Open containing folder" I even tried relocating manually the file I'm downloading, but it still downloads it after checking it.

I don't suppose there's a way to find the HASH of a single file inside a torrent, right? Because I could calculate the hash for both files and see if it's the same.

p4IJvw8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/p4IJvw8.jpg

I've just tried the same procedure with another torrent, same scenario: completely downloaded files, adding the torrent with the same name as the folder, etc. And that one worked perfectly. The same procedure, everything the same.

Could this be a problem of having downloaded just a few of the files inside the torrent? Does it need to check all of them in order to make sure they're the same? What do you think could be causing this problem?

Next thing I'm gonna do is wait until one of the files finishes downloading, then repeat the procedure from the beginning using that downloaded file as the Copy.

Could this be a problem of having downloaded just a few of the files inside the torrent? Does it need to check all of them in order to make sure they're the same? What do you think could be causing this problem?
Then...how do you explain that it's stuck at 37.2%? I just want to understand this behavior, I use uTorrent all the time and I want to know how to fix this problem in case it happens again in the future.

If you haven't downloaded all the payload data it CAN only check to a percentage that is less than 100!

Well I have another torrent where I have selected only one season of the show (it's a tv show) and if I press "Recheck" it checks all the file, and when it's done it goes to 100% and moves to "Seeding" with a status of "Finished". With doesn't happen with this torrent.

I really don't understand what's wrong, I've done nothing that I've not done with other torrents, but this time it simply doesn't work.

I have another torrent where I have selected only one season of the show

As Ciaobaby has explained many time in other posts, BitTorrent clients do not download files, they download blocks of data called pieces which get assembled to form files. As such it is frequently impossible to download only the data containing the desired file because that file may start or end somewhere inside a piece, making it necessary to download the extra piece or pieces. Therefore just replacing a file and expecting uTorrent to recheck it may not succeed if you don't have the end pieces of data where the file started or stopped.

As Ciaobaby has explained many time in other posts, BitTorrent clients do not download files, they download blocks of data called pieces which get assembled to form files. As such it is frequently impossible to download only the data containing the desired file because that file may start or end somewhere inside a piece, making it necessary to download the extra piece or pieces. Therefore just replacing a file and expecting uTorrent to recheck it may not succeed if you don't have the end pieces of data where the file started or stopped.

I see, now it's more clear to me. Thanks for the explanation :)

Archived