not installing to correct location

SoulReaper

I updated to 3.3.1 and it installed to a different location (myusername\appdata\roaming) leaving 2 versions installed. I tried running to update multiple times, and getting the full install from the website, but it doesn't let me choose an install location and keeps installing in this new directory instead of updating the old version. How do I get this to install in the correct directory (program files)?

(Windows 7)

I have the same problem. Even more: I installed utorrent to another drive than my system is. I did that, because system is on SSD, other drive is HDD specially determined by me for programs and I'm careful with that SSD so keep no torrent and similar programs on it. Today I decided to check on update (old version was 3.3.1 build 29938). There was one, during the update it even said that there will be silent updates from now on (I've considered that to be good :) ). After install and launching new version - there was none of my setting, torrents (over 1000) etc, just default stuff. The reason of that become clear very quickly - different install location.

Don't know why devs make it like this, especially considering that all previous versions found right location on its own. The things I want to know is: will this be fixed (at least prompted during an installation about location if there are some major difficulties to search for location of the installed version (which is strange, considering that update was launched from existing program)) and how to fix that issue now? Well, I thought of one way: moving all files (program) to new location, then apply the update and move all back, may be tweak some paths in the registry. If there is a easier way or this will be fixed soon I'd like to know that.

Don't know why devs make it like this

In theory, to be able to copy files by the system, silently, w/o user intervention to an unprotected section (%appdata%\...).

I agree, the user should be the one to decide on the location...

Well ,even if it's for autoupdates user still should be able to change location. As for the UAC - when changing location there may be a warning about possible UAC issues if location is similar to "C:\Program Files" for example.

And there is another issue/question.

For now utorrent on my computer is located at "T:\uTorrent", so definitely no UAC issues there. After silent update will it still be there or there will be another copy installed to default path? I don't know the answer yet yet and would really like to know it (preferably before next update).

Note: I corrected paths in the registry which are responsible for location of installed program etc.

I guess the silent-auto-push-plan is: Silently-auto-update, silently-auto-'offer', silently auto-expand-torrents, silently make the user enjoy it plus make BT happier too. Not too bad I guess, as long as you can control it ... :)

Some new info: when downloading and launching install file from the utorrent site it still installs itself to addpata/roaming regardless of paths to already installed client in the registry. Auto-update from within client failed: it tried to proceed with update before process utorrent.exe was closed and as a result it prompted about downgrade to 3.3.1.30003 and I agreed, For now I just downloaded new file from site and replaced old one with it. That worked :).

P.S. Something to add: for me main problem is that for now it installs itself without prompting and to system disk C on which I do not want it at all (I explained reasons for that in previous posts). Also ".../AppData/Roaming" is not the best location to whole program as that folder (AppData) designed and usually used as location for application data (not exe), as such: settings, saves (games) etc.

What part of Installation will always be to %AppData%\uTorrent regardless did you not get?

I told you what to do.

The reason it's installing to AppData is that it will not mess with UAC and it should not be used by anyone except your own account, to prevent permission errors.

Then if you like it or not is something else, and you can always run it exactly how you want with a portable setup.

What I don't like is that it should accept that when updating in portable mode, but it doesn't.

A regular install is behaving as it should, though.

I agree...

The reason it's installing to AppData is that it will not mess with UAC and it should not be used by anyone except your own account, to prevent permission errors.

but, what if I want to "install" it to be used for *all* users on your system? It is quite common.

I know all that. The point is that for every new update I'll have to take care manually of the exe being relocated . Especially when I decide to use it as a common standalone for all users, in my own location of choice.

It seems that even if you locate the exe in %appdata% , for each user it will also auto-save/update it to his own appdata :(

In short - the now convenient one-click auto-update mechanism is all gone, plus making users "loose" their settings on the way...

Perhaps you could make a symbolic link to wherever you actually want it to end up. So silent update sees that its writing to appdata when in truth its writing to your specified location. http://ss64.com/nt/mklink.html

Worth while checking up :)

OK, here is what I've tried, and does seem to work (for a single user/logon):

1. exit utorrent

2. in start-cmd window, cd %appdata%

3a. Move or rename the utorrent directory to any other path (on any disk drive) and with any directory name. For example to my_utorrent (under %appdata%), or c:\programs\uTorrent

3b. If you do not have anything important in there (settins/torrents etc) just rename it (as a backup)

4. If your current install in a start->cmd window, create a new uTorrent directory-link in %appdata%:

mklink /D uTorrent c:\programs\uTorrent (in our example)

5. Put and use your utorrent.exe from the above location

That is it. uTorrent will auto-update into the newly created directory-link which is now "mapped" also from %appdata%\utorrent link.

Try it out and report back, before I'll post it in my tips-guide... :)

yeah, just that if you want the same utorrent/config for *all* 'users', you should create a similar link for each user in his own appdata.

Well, seems like just a way around the new update scheme for standalone installs, anywhere...

Archived