not installing to correct location

SoulReaper

What I don't like is that it should accept that when updating in portable mode, but it doesn't.

That's what I don't like too. In short and simple words I want uTorrent updates go as easy as possible without the need to move/rename something in case that uTorrent installed to the location I need. Also program should'nt replace existing settings.dat and resume.dat in both cases.

And one more thing: I saw your post about "always... AppData/Roaming ...", I understood (before your post) that this path is unchangeable by user. I just tested specific situation to be sure than program doesn't account for registry paths (which is strange, because last time I updated it obviously did that) and posted information that might come in handy for someone. Also all of my questions (at least, in my last post) were addressed to devs as only they can answer it and/or do something about it.

For now easiest way to update for me (without sym links) is to download new .exe file from uTorrent website and replace my old one with it.

P.S. Tomorrow, great idea about sym links, thanks for the info (totally forgot about that :) ). Will test it tomorrow (with install) :) , for now just created it.

uTorrent - you are doing it wrong! uTorrent.exe should be installed to the "Program Files" directory. Settings and such should remain in the user specific %AppData% directory. To allow for unobtrusive updating - a separate updater executable should be scheduled to run automatically with admin privileges. That's how Google does it (for Chrome).

The main thing is that there should be a choice for either location of the program or its settings. For now on fresh install there isn't much to choose in both cases: program installs itself to the same location where its settings is by default. Good thing is that it is still possible (only harder) to move program folder to another location and it still recognizes settings from current location of program (this feature a.k.a. "portable install").

About "it shoild be in Program Files..." - that's debatable, depends in person. Like i typed before for now I have uTorent folder on "T:\uTorrent"; that's the HDD from which I seed (and to which download, of course) torrents (did it like that to ease the workload on my other HDD's).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived