µTorrent 3.3.1 keeps downloading when you're out of disk space

bottlerockets

As the topic states, the latest stable build of µTorrent 3.3.1 (30003) doesn't stop downloading when you're out of disk space. Tested & confirmed:

eoqph8R.png

Wireshark logs show that it keeps requesting pieces after it's sent "not interested" messages to connected clients. Most clients ignore these requests, but others (Transmission) go on to send the pieces.

wbcyoC8.png

The client should not be continuing to request pieces after it has recognized there is no place left to store the downloaded data.

• 2 months later...

This bug is on my issues-list - #24 http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=739260#p739260

As it happens, it turned out to be a side-affect of a hidden feature... The feature is to auto-resume a download that has stopped due to a full disk, after you free some space on the disk.

This settings: Pref.->advanced->diskio.resume_min controls the amount of free space seeded for this auto-resume to work, and it defaults to 100MB.

So, the bug is that even if you have pre-allocate set, but diskio.sparse_files = TRUE, it will start the download even when there is not enough space on disk! In this case, it will also "auto-resume" it, without honoring this resume_min setting, and fail.

So, to bypass this, you need to:

Make sure to set diskio.spare_files = FALSE

OR disable pre-allocate (not recommended)

AND better increase the default resume_min to 100000M (100G) so to not ever try to auto-resume a download. Just press start...

Let me know if it "fixed" the bug for you, so I can edit it into my tips-guide... :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived