muTorrent creates two 4GB temporary files

imixer

Hi.

I'm using Windows 7 installed on SSD and muTorrent creates two 4GB temporary files whenever I run it. Since I don't have it resident and restart it frequently this generates 20 Gb and more write traffic for my SSD and more easily just for those files. Those files are filled with some data. Those files are never used (either read or written) after this. Moreover, I've got 16GB of RAM and most of the time paging file is not used.

Is it possible to re-locate those file to a different partition without moving the whole temp directory? Or is it possible for muTorrent to be more reasonable and not write the data unless it is really necessary or to use RAM instead or whatever?

3.3 (build 29625) [32 bit]

btw, I can't copy version AND build from about dialog. This is both not convenient and error prone. I wonder why don't you use standard text control with the standard selection/ copy-paste functionality? Adding button which will copy build data to the buffer will also help.

Umm.

Sorry, missed the question which should be really a greeting.

File names are uttAB24.tmp.new and uttAB73.tmp.new. I expect the numeric part (AB24) to be randomly generated.

Which of the issues I've met were fixed in the latest builds?

Don't you think auto-update I've got enabled should have notify me about the latest builds?

Don't you think those issues is not something one would expect to meet at all? I was surprised that Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V work as expected for most of controls. Don't you think that the fact that 90% of my SSD IO operations are generated by the file creation which aren't ever used afterwards is strange enough?

P.S. I mean strange enough to just say "Thank you" for locating and tracing this odd behavior. Sorry if I've hurt your feeling finding inconsistencies in application behavior (these aren't bugs for sure), relying on the official auto-updater to make sure I'm using the latest and using old builds.

Policies state that you need to update first. Doesn't matter.

Don't you think auto-update I've got enabled should have notify me about the latest builds?

This part has been discussed to death.

Don't you think that the fact that 90% of my SSD IO operations are generated by the file creation which aren't ever used afterwards is strange enough?

Are you using RSS feeds?

So, where's "Thank you"?

Policies state that you need to update first. Doesn't matter.

I did. This is reported to be the latest build when I press "Check for the latest" or similar in muTorrent. Have you got different build update paths?

Besides 3.3.1 build 30003 has exactly the same issue with the temporary files. Surprise.

This part has been discussed to death.

Sure. Every local newspaper writes about this. BBC talks about this before AND after every news block. My wife tells me about this every morning. Even your website bug report form says: "Our auto-updater doesn't get the latest. Please, do the following steps before submitting the bug. Check this box if you did." Oops. You don't have bug report form.

Oh, yes. Every time I report ANY bug for ANY program I'm always looking for the issues with the updater across the website. Just to make sure nobody mis-implemented this functionality.

Don't you think that the fact that 90% of my SSD IO operations are generated by the file creation which aren't ever used afterwards is strange enough?

Are you using RSS feeds?

Do you mean ANY RSS feed OR specific ones?

missed the question which should be really a greeting.

Why??

I have no intention or desire to become your 'friend'.

Greeting as well as "thank you" is not the part of becoming 'friends'. This is the part of the human communication protocol called "etiquette". Usually taught by Mom and Dad in early childhood. Usually not followed by rebelling teenagers and the grownups who stuck emotionally in the teenager's age.

I see. I'm using Sysinternals' Process Monitor to track file operations. Process Monitor reports this is muTorrent who creates those files. I didn't install any plugin for muTorrent. I'm just using it as-is. I've made initial muTorrent download from your website and I didn't install anything other than muTorrent from that package ( no Yandex bars or other malware which is usually packaged with stuff downloaded from internet).

Do you have any idea what could create those files from behalf of the muTorrent?

btw, file names start from utt which might be uTorrent Tracker abbreviation (or not).

I don't expect this to be some kind of generic virus, since it's only muTorrent process who creates those files.

Hmm. I wonder how old are you.

So, do you want to double check using any tool what files are created by out-of-the-box muTorrent during startup an the first several minutes of being online (both with and without uploading/downloading anything)? If you can't I'll use clean windows install to do this myself later to make sure this is muTorrent or some kind of malware which is the part of the install package who does this..

Could you, please, also answer the question from the previous message (who could create those files from behalf of muTorrent)?

created by out-of-the-box muTorrent during startup

Normally they are created during an initial install in the %temp% location' date=' BUT as you keep installing the client rather than keeping it "resident" ... They probably are being appended each time.[/quote']

It seems I don't understand what do you mean. Temporary files are the files which aren't persistent between program launches. You might treat this as a definition. That said temporary file can't be created during installation and used later by the application. If the program is implemented correctly temporary files are deleted once the application is closed or even earlier.

I also don't understand why you are talking about installing application multiple times. I have no idea why anyone will do this unless he doesn't need to make a clean installation or repair existing one.

It could be an app that creates them.

Try remove all apps from %AppData%\uTorrent\apps

Also, set Preferences > Advanced > btapps.auto_update_btapps = false (Might not exist in newer versions, as they're not used any more).

Thanks. After I've removed everything from apps folder, the number of temporary files decreased. Now I've got a single 4 GB file.

That said temporary file can't be created during installation and used later by the application.

The uTorrent .exe file IS ALSO the "installer".

wonder if you distinguish installation and launch process? Are you saying that each time muTorrent launches it performs full installation sequence?

Ok, the mystery of the huge temporary files is not solved yet. It seems that the developers deny utt(*).tmp.new file is created by muTorrent.exe.

I've made a clean windows install, applied all the patches and drivers, installed muTorrent 3.3.1 (3003) and figured out that it still creates utt(*).tmp.new file. If I remove everything from the apps folder muTorrent re-creates what I've deleted. I wonder if it downloads it every time from the server.

Good news is that now those files are pretty small: 2880 bytes instead of 4 Gb.

Bad news are that:

1. While 3.3 i've got was installed to program files folder, 3.3.1 installs itself to %USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming. This lead to the fact that now I've got 2 muTorrent instances on my machine - 3.3.1 didn't uninstall 3.3 I had. That lead me to a confusion when I was updating to the latest. I've used and old link and I was launching an old instance. In fact this is the double confusion with getting latest: 3.3 still reports there are no updates.

2. 3.3.1 instance in not under UAC protection anymore. Nobody asks me if I want to allow muTorrent installer to modify my system. This means that now muTorrent can do anything to its instance without any notice. I wonder what was the actual reason to do this change.

3. muTorrent is not installed for all users anymore (see point 2). This might also lead to confusion.

4. Of course but with version selection in the about screen is still there. It seems the developers don't want to talk about this either.

5. muTorrent still tries to install by default lots of unneeded stuff. Common user have to be careful not to install unwanted toolbars or not to change his favorite home page.

It seems like I need to keep an eye on what muTorrent installs/downloads/does to my system.

Archived