Setting up uTorrent 3.3.1 with new router

Itzkow1

Hi everyone,

I just bought and set up a brand new router (Western Digital My Net N900). Since I started using it, my utorrent speeds with 3.3.1 have been awful.

Right now, I'm uploading at around 125 kb/s which is my regular speed, but my download speed now is around 5 kb/s when it should be around 1.5 mb/s.

I did some research and found that I need to set up a static IP for my laptop as well as enabling port forwarding on my router. I did both, but still no download speed at all.

I use port 23938 in utorrent and used that same number when setting up port forwarding with my router, but I think I need more detailed help with the external/internal port ranges.

Thank you!

3.3.1 build 30003 (32-bit)

It's a uTorrent problem because my router works fine otherwise (internet access is perfect).

uTorrent also works perfectly with LAN - modem to laptop.

But over wi-fi I need help getting my router and utorrent to work together.

I call western digital, and they were of no help, and said contact utorrent.

I tried setting a static IP, and entered the utorrent port number into the port forwarding in my router's setting, but it didnt work. Maybe i did something wrong.

Yes, the router says the ipv4 spi firewall is off.

This is really frustrating and im hoping someone can help please.

the problem is configuring the router to let utorrent run properly.

WD guided me through setting static IP, but they cant help me configure the port forwarding exactly how utorrent needs it.

if they cant help, and you cant, what am i to do?

thanks

Set the router to DHCP, not bridged.

To make it easier you can enable DMZ to your computer and you'll never need to forward a port again.

What to setup is the same for all routers, how you do it is different for each.

Only RTFM will help you there, unfortunately.

How do I DMZ?

I still have the same issue after reading about port forwarding and other possibilities in the manuals for my router and utorrent - still no luck.

My internet is just fine, but I have no idea how to configure my router and utorrent to work together properly.

Can someone please help me?

And please stop leaving replies like "go read the manual". I have, and a response like that just seems lazy and is of no help whatsoever.

And please stop leaving replies like "go read the manual". I have, and a response like that just seems lazy and is of no help whatsoever.

Expecting us to hold your hand through setting up YOUR router (which we probably don't use ourselves) is equally lazy, if not moreso. Also, the router has a tech support line associated with it.

I've been calling them every day for 4 days straight. They guide me to set up a static IP, and entering the port forwarding information. But the router support stops there. They just tell me "the information should be right, and we can't help anymore because it has to be a utorrent issue, and they're not qualified nor capable of helping with an outside program".

And yes, my last post was over the top because I'm just fed up with all of this, and it's so time consuming its rediculous. I've never had any problems with utorrent before. it works on a wired connection.

But there's still something missing for my router and utorrent to work together, and the router support says its not on them, so I have no idea what else to do.

I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

When router support showed me to set up the static IP, they told me to go to the connection I'm currently using, ipv4 properties, and just manually type in an ip address that's 20 higher than the dynamic ipv4 IP that showed up in ipconfig with cmd

ok, so you were right about that part - it turns out I was trying to use a "static" IP that fell within my router's dynamic range, but still no luck.

I updated my routers port forwarding to use the new IP outside that dynamic range, but utorrent is still not running properly.

When I tried this the first time, I turned it off. Since then, I reset my router to factory default, so now it's on again.

I just turned it off, exited utorrent, rebooted my computer, checked to make sure the firewall is still off, opened utorrent, but still nothing.

There has to be some option that needs to be changed in either the router or in utorrent, and my router support can't help. What else can you suggest aside from getting a new router?

I just don't understand how a router can work perfectly with everything, except utorrent.

Also, I dont know if this helps or not, but when my IP was dynamic, uTorrent would show up on my router's list of applications under ports used by system. Now that it's static, utorrent doesnt show up on that list. The only thing that's there is "Teredo", and I have no clue what that is.

I just don't understand how a router can work perfectly with everything, except utorrent.

Because "everything" doesn't need a specific port directed to the specific IP that the application/service is running on for the application to receive messages from other peers, called Unicast in networking terms.

Archived